+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Password reset through SMS in Technical; Hello, I am working on a project in my workplace to try and cut down the amount of password resets ...

Thank Post

Password reset through SMS

Hello,

I am working on a project in my workplace to try and cut down the amount of password resets we do. The theory is that a user sends a message to reset@domain.com and then it sends them a reset link back and then they can log in. To do this I have a script that will run on the Server against the reset mailbox. The script now runs without any errors in the Shell just the system never knows the mobile number in question.

Here is the script
    Code:
    #Add Quest Active Directory Management snapinAdd-PSSnapin Quest.ActiveRoles.ADManagement
    #Configuration Block
    $SmtpServer = "smtp.domain.com"
    $ResetEmail = "reset@domain.com"
    $Username = "reset"
    $Password = "Password"
    $Domain = "Domain"
    $MailServer = "https://server.domain.com/ews/exchange.asmx"

#Download for file is here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35371 
    [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFile("C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange\Web Services\2.0\Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.dll")

function Create-RandomString()
    {
      $aChars = @()
      $aChars = "a", "b", "c", "d", "e", "f", "g", "h", "i", "j", "k", "m", "n", "o", "p", "q", "r", "s", "t", "u", "v", "w", "x", "y", "z", "A", "C", "b", "D", "E", "F", "G", "H", "I", "J", "K", "L", "M", "N", "O", "P", "Q", "R", "S", "T", "U", "V", "W", "X", "Y", "Z", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9", "_", ";"
      $intUpperLimit = Get-Random -minimum 8 -maximum 10

$x = 0
      $strString = ""
      while ($x -lt $intUpperLimit)
      {
         $a = Get-Random -minimum 0 -maximum $aChars.getupperbound(0)
         $strString += $aChars[$a]
         $x += 1
      }

return $strString
    }

$email = New-Object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeService([Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeVersion]::Exchange2010)
    $email.Credentials = New-Object Net.NetworkCredential($Username, $Password, $Domain)
    $uri=[system.URI] $MailServer
    $email.Url = $uri
    $inbox = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.Folder]::Bind($email,[Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.WellKnownFolderName]::Inbox)

if ($inbox.UnreadCount -gt 0)
    {
    $PropertySet = new-object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.PropertySet([Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.BasePropertySet]::FirstClassProperties)
    $PropertySet.RequestedBodyType = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.BodyType]::Text;
      # Set search criteria - unread only
    $SearchForUnRead = New-object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.SearchFilter+IsEqualTo([Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.EmailMessageSchema]::IsRead, $false) 
     $items = $inbox.FindItems($SearchForUnRead,10)  #return only 10 unread mail items
    foreach ($item in $items.Items)
    {
       # load the property set to allow us to view the body
      $item.load($PropertySet)
      if($item.Body.text -Like "*")
      {
       $Phone = $item.From.address
       $Phone = $item.From.address.substring(0, $Phone.IndexOf("@"))
       $user = get-qaduser -MobilePhone $Phone
       If ($user -ne $null)
       {
        $PW = Create-RandomString
        if ($PW.length -gt 6)
        {
         Set-QADUser -identity $user.samaccountname -UserPassword (ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText $PW -Force)
         Unlock-QADUser -identity $user.samaccountname
         $PasswordAge = (Get-QADUser $user |select-object PasswordLastSet)
         if ($PasswordAge.PasswordLastSet -ge (Get-Date).AddMinutes(-1)){
         $Body = "Password reset for " + $user.SamAccountName + "-" + $user.DistinguishedName
         send-mailmessage -to $ResetEmail -from $ResetEmail -subject "Password Reset" -body $Body  -SmtpServer $SmtpServer
         send-mailmessage -to $item.From.address -from $ResetEmail -subject " " -body "Your password is now $PW" -SmtpServer $SmtpServer
         }
        }
       }
       else
       {
        send-mailmessage -to $ResetEmail -from $ResetEmail -subject "Invalid Phone number" -body "Phone number $Phone not found" -SmtpServer $SmtpServer
        send-mailmessage -to $item.From.address -from $ResetEmail -subject " " -body "Your phone number was not found." -SmtpServer $SmtpServer
       }
      }
      $item.Isread = $true
      $item.Update([Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ConflictResolutionMode]::AlwaysOverwrite) 
     }
    }
    If anybody has any advice on this then it woudl be much appreciated. I am convinced the number is in the wrong place just I am unsure where line number 51 and 52 - $Phone = $item.From.address is pointing too.

Regards,
    Adam

Thank Post
    Err which bit isn't it working?

As in from how I read that, you're sending an email not SMS to the server.

It's then comparing the email address, and looking up the mobile number from AD

In regards to $Phone = $item.From.address it's just taking the from-address of (what to me seems more like an email, unless you have somethign that accepts SMS?) and uses that as the lookup variable.

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply.

The latter part is not working. Users smart phones are able to send an sms to the email address and the carrier then converts it to email and it ends up in the Reset email box. This part is fine. The part that is not working is when we run the script against the unread emails in the Reset email box. We end up getting this result;
    Phone number +4471234567 not found which suggests to me it is not looking in the right place for the users mobile number. But where is the right place?

Hope this is a bit more clear.

Regards.

Thank Post
    It's looking it up from AD, so it's querying the user account, and looking in the mobilePhone number tag (Under telephone tab)

Steve

Thank Post
    I though at much as that is where I have placed the number on our test account. However we are still getting the number not found issue. I have tried the number in +4472345678 4472345678 and 071234567 formats with no avail.

Do you have any suggestions as it seems I have implemented everything as it should be?

I would really like to get this in place so any help would be great.
    Last edited by 2011ComputerMan; 21st October 2013 at 05:12 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread