+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Home Folders Missing on some workstation. ok on others in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Home Folders Missing on some workstation. ok on others

Hello

I have a school network that is currently using folder redirection issues in the setting up of folder redirections has cause some files not to sync and remain on the local workstations so a solution was looked at to do away with folder redirection. I have current Create home folders for a select few teachers to test around the school and make sure the files are ok and that everyone can access their files.

One issue that I am having is if I log in on one workstation as test teacher I see the home folder so that works but when I log test teacher out and log back in on a second workstation the home folder is not showing up. I could repeat this step around the school and get some work stations that do show the home folder and others ones that don’t could anyone give me advice thanks.

Server 2008 R2
    Windows 7 32bit workstations

Thank Post
    We had a similiar issue, have you tried deleting the local profiles?

Doing that and a restart of the machine worked for me.

Thank Post
    Hi Hardtailstar
    I was thinking of that but the issue goes back to Folder redirection and the csc cache offline files
    If I delete the local profiles I lose all the users data that did not sync to the server. And there are too many users and 2 many workstations with files to do a manual backup

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,710 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could also be DNS. If you are mapping the drive via the server name and some workstations are having DNS issues it will do the same. Might be worth testing NSlookup on problem machines.

Thank Post
    Hi FN-GM

Thanks i will look into that DNS issues could be it as i did have issues a week ago. if i changes the mapping to ip address of the server instead of the name would this fix the issue or just cause more issues

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,710 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would make it work but you should fix your DNS, lots of other things will need it.

Thank Post
    Hi sorry I took so long in getting back to the form with a reply. I have been looking at DNS & DHCP all issues are fixed and both are working. But home folder is only showing up on some pc and not others. I have a shared space mapped out for everyone ant this works just home folder not showing up for everyone

Thank Post

Lightbulb

Hi all issue is fixed and I hate myself it was all down to picking a drive letter.

We have 2 types of pc in the school Dell & Hp the Dell pc only have 4 USB ports & the Hp Have 10 USB ports and 4 card readers so drive letter H: was in use by one of the USB drives.
    I tried to use a script to map the home folder to one of the pc that was not showing up the Home Drive only to come up with an error Drive letter is in use. Stupidly in trying to keep Home Folders with the letter H: I was stopping all users that logged into Hp Workstations from accessing there Home Folder. So I am going to put this down as one of life’s little annoying computer problems.

Thanks for everyone’s help
    Last edited by Titan-cdl2; 18th October 2013 at 09:45 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread