+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Folder disappeared, can't recreate or restore from backup in Technical; Weird one here... In one school in which I work once/week, I've just come in to find my software deployment ...

Thank Post

Folder disappeared, can't recreate or restore from backup

Weird one here... In one school in which I work once/week, I've just come in to find my software deployment folder "software" has disappeared from one of our servers. Judging from backups, it seems to have happened last Wednesday (I work Tuesdays) and I can't think of why. When I try to restore from Windows Server Backup to the original location, selecting Overwrite the existing versions..., I get the error "The alternative location specified for restore is invalid". When I make a new folder and try to rename it in Windows Explorer or with the command prompt, the name quickly reverts to New Folder, rather than asking me to merge with the existing folder. When I try to go to the full folder path (d:\pcadmin\software) the system/Windows can't find it. I can't scan the drive for errors right now because Windows wants to dismount it and the redirected folders are also on it. I scanned and nothing changed.

For now, I've disabled the DFS folder target that points to the now missing folder. I haven't lost any data, but I'm also not able to recreate the folder. I wouldn't be surprised to find the space is lost (for now). Does anyone have any idea what happened or how to recreate a folder called software in the same spot?
    Last edited by BBrian; 1st October 2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: more info

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread