+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, GPO and DNS Server Problem in Technical; Hi, Can anyone shed some light on a problem that is driving me mad! I have tried to solve it ...

Thank Post

GPO and DNS Server Problem

Hi,
    Can anyone shed some light on a problem that is driving me mad! I have tried to solve it on and off for months but can't make sense of it.

My server (we just have the one) is DHCP & DNS server. DNS forwarding is set to the the correct ISP settings plus 127.0.0.1. These are in the order DNS1, DNS2, Local-loop.
    Any new PC will not connect to the domain unless I change the DNS setting on the client Adaptor from auto to the IP address of the server. Then it joins ok. IPCONFIG /ALL lists the DNS as just the IP address of the server. If I revert the settings back to auto after joining the domain, it will now log on to the domain successfully and IPCONFIG /ALL reports the DNS as 82.xx.xx.1, 82.xx.xx.2, 127.00.1.

Linked to this (I think!!) is the fact that my folder redirection GPO will just not work. If I force the GP to work by GPUPDATE on the client I get:
    "The processing of group policy failed. Windows could not resolve the user name etc etc. " when the Client DNS is set to auto. Changing back to static DNS (Server IP address) I get "User policy update has completed successfully. Computer policy update has completed successfully." However, folder redirection has not worked nor have any of the GPO settings. When I check the GPO, it is correctly linked to the domain and the filtering is listing the correct security group which has the correct membership.

Has anyone any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

Dave

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    What DNS is your DHCP Scope issuing? It should be just issuing the IP of that server which from what you have said above is doing everything. Clients should only have your internal DNS Server on them and that DNS Server has the Forwarders for the ISP.

Thank Post
    If I look in DHCP scope Options, it gives the DNS Servers as: 127.0.0.1, 82.219.4.24, 82.219.4.25
    Is this the problem?
    Thanks
    Dave

Thank Post
    yep. your clients should only get issued the dns ip of the server. Remove the others from dhcp.

Thank Post
    I'm guessing I need to delete the above 3 addresses and replace with the IP address of the server? And if so, should the clients have the server IP address as the DNS server or should they be set to automatic / dynamic?
    Many thanks
    Dave

Thank Post
    Sorry, last posts crossed.
    THANK YOU! I reckon that was the problem. First tests show that a new client will now join the domain with DNS set to auto AND the GPs seem to be applying ok (I say seem coz I've learnt in this job never count your chickens....).

Anyway, thanks very much for pointing that out to me. I should have realised this but I missed it as I think I've been staring at it for too long! ;-)

Dave

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrodel View Post
    I'm guessing I need to delete the above 3 addresses and replace with the IP address of the server? And if so, should the clients have the server IP address as the DNS server or should they be set to automatic / dynamic?
    Many thanks
    Dave
    Yep the clients should have only the IPs of your Internal DNS Servers and never the external ones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimrodel View Post
    If I look in DHCP scope Options, it gives the DNS Servers as: 127.0.0.1, 82.219.4.24, 82.219.4.25
    Is this the problem?
    Thanks
    Dave
    The fact you're deploying 127.0.0.1 means that workstations will look at themselves for DNS. This is why it's not working. It needs to be the real IP address of your server, which could be anything

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread