+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Why is GP applying but not at the same time??? in Technical; Hey Guys So I have set up my GP for staff and students and have one major problem that's getting ...

Thank Post

Why is GP applying but not at the same time???

Hey Guys

So I have set up my GP for staff and students and have one major problem that's getting really annoying. The GP is applying my proxy setting although give it a day and it doesn't you come back to find the proxy settings box is unticked and no one can use the internet! Really confused why it is doing this any help would be most appreciated!

Alex

Thank Post
    *Sobs A Little* Please somebody, anybody HELPP !!!

Thank Post
    How are you applying the proxy settings - IEM, GPP, registry, other method?

Thank Post
    Through Group Policy User Configuration - Policies - Internet Explorer Maintenance - Proxy Settings - Manual!?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,471 Posts
    We have had an issue with this too and I think the solution was a script to change the registry ..sorry I can't be any more help, I didnt do it. I can't even google it because SWGfL have blocked anything with "proxy" in it, bless them

Thank Post
    I must have said this a huge number of times on here now, but I strongly recommend that you move away from using IEM. It's not supported beyond Windows 7 on IE9 - newer OS or IE and it disappears. GPP can provide the same functionality, and may be able to force this to work where IEM is failing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    I must have said this a huge number of times on here now, but I strongly recommend that you move away from using IEM. It's not supported beyond Windows 7 on IE9 - newer OS or IE and it disappears. GPP can provide the same functionality, and may be able to force this to work where IEM is failing.
    Thanks for the info mate, though you have lost me a bit here I get IEM means internet explorer maintenance and that we are running IE 10 so this would make sense though when you say GPP you have lost me a lil???

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    We have had an issue with this too and I think the solution was a script to change the registry ..sorry I can't be any more help, I didnt do it. I can't even google it because SWGfL have blocked anything with "proxy" in it, bless them
    Can this registry change be pushed out through group policy I seem to be able to google proxy any chance you remembered what you typed in? I have typed this question into google and can't seem to find much on it???

Thank Post
    Group Policy Preferences. It's available in the GP settings, under Preferences at the bottom. It can save you a huge amount of faffing with scripts etc, for many tasks.

Thank Post
    This can also happen if one of your DCs is broken... the policies can get out of sync in the sysvol share.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Can this registry change be pushed out through group policy I seem to be able to google proxy any chance you remembered what you typed in? I have typed this question into google and can't seem to find much on it???
    Yes, it can. Definitely. Can't remember though. Will try and chase

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Group Policy Preferences. It's available in the GP settings, under Preferences at the bottom. It can save you a huge amount of faffing with scripts etc, for many tasks.
    Under Group Policy - User Configuration - Preferences I can't see anyway of setting Proxy setting for IE. Am I being stupid I feel like I'm missing something. Sorry first proper job as Network Manager haha!!!

Thank Post
    go to user config / preferences / control panel / internet settings right click on the right side of teh screen and new ie 10 then fill in as you would if you were doing it manually on a pc (so connections lan settings) but remember to press f6 to make any settings go green and ive found its much less reliable deploying these swttings than the ie9< way it just sometimes dosent do them but i tend to find any gpp setting hit and miss

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    go to user config / preferences / control panel / internet settings right click on the right side of teh screen and new ie 10 then fill in as you would if you were doing it manually on a pc (so connections lan settings) but remember to press f6 to make any settings go green and ive found its much less reliable deploying these swttings than the ie9< way it just sometimes dosent do them but i tend to find any gpp setting hit and miss
    Thankyou for your detailed info though I only saw IE6, 7 and 8 under new no 9 or 10 which worries me slightly this is just becoming a nuisance now having to go to every user on every machine to tick the proxy box! It puts the proxy in it just won't tick the damn box !!!! This is my first time and I'm really proud of the network I have put in made a huge difference but when staff can't access internet you can imagine they don't appreciate all the other stuff you have done just because it won't tick that silly box Help

Thank Post
    You won't see IE10 on a Server 2008 R2 server, only IE8. The IE8 one works for IE9, and if you modify the xml of the policy (do a search of the forum) it can also operate IE10.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast