+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Why is GP applying but not at the same time??? in Technical; Hey Guys So I have set up my GP for staff and students and have one major problem that's getting ...
  1. #1

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,745
    Thank Post
    313
    Thanked 337 Times in 251 Posts
    Rep Power
    211

    Why is GP applying but not at the same time???

    Hey Guys

    So I have set up my GP for staff and students and have one major problem that's getting really annoying. The GP is applying my proxy setting although give it a day and it doesn't you come back to find the proxy settings box is unticked and no one can use the internet! Really confused why it is doing this any help would be most appreciated!

    Alex

  2. #2

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,745
    Thank Post
    313
    Thanked 337 Times in 251 Posts
    Rep Power
    211
    *Sobs A Little* Please somebody, anybody HELPP !!!

  3. #3

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,823
    Thank Post
    146
    Thanked 572 Times in 516 Posts
    Rep Power
    154
    How are you applying the proxy settings - IEM, GPP, registry, other method?

  4. #4

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,745
    Thank Post
    313
    Thanked 337 Times in 251 Posts
    Rep Power
    211
    Through Group Policy User Configuration - Policies - Internet Explorer Maintenance - Proxy Settings - Manual!?

  5. #5

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,389
    Thank Post
    1,403
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Rep Power
    711
    We have had an issue with this too and I think the solution was a script to change the registry ..sorry I can't be any more help, I didnt do it. I can't even google it because SWGfL have blocked anything with "proxy" in it, bless them

  6. #6

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,823
    Thank Post
    146
    Thanked 572 Times in 516 Posts
    Rep Power
    154
    I must have said this a huge number of times on here now, but I strongly recommend that you move away from using IEM. It's not supported beyond Windows 7 on IE9 - newer OS or IE and it disappears. GPP can provide the same functionality, and may be able to force this to work where IEM is failing.

  7. #7

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,745
    Thank Post
    313
    Thanked 337 Times in 251 Posts
    Rep Power
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    I must have said this a huge number of times on here now, but I strongly recommend that you move away from using IEM. It's not supported beyond Windows 7 on IE9 - newer OS or IE and it disappears. GPP can provide the same functionality, and may be able to force this to work where IEM is failing.
    Thanks for the info mate, though you have lost me a bit here I get IEM means internet explorer maintenance and that we are running IE 10 so this would make sense though when you say GPP you have lost me a lil???

  8. #8

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,745
    Thank Post
    313
    Thanked 337 Times in 251 Posts
    Rep Power
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    We have had an issue with this too and I think the solution was a script to change the registry ..sorry I can't be any more help, I didnt do it. I can't even google it because SWGfL have blocked anything with "proxy" in it, bless them
    Can this registry change be pushed out through group policy I seem to be able to google proxy any chance you remembered what you typed in? I have typed this question into google and can't seem to find much on it???

  9. #9

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,823
    Thank Post
    146
    Thanked 572 Times in 516 Posts
    Rep Power
    154
    Group Policy Preferences. It's available in the GP settings, under Preferences at the bottom. It can save you a huge amount of faffing with scripts etc, for many tasks.

  10. #10

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,600
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 769 Times in 598 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    This can also happen if one of your DCs is broken... the policies can get out of sync in the sysvol share.

  11. #11

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,389
    Thank Post
    1,403
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Rep Power
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbillbridgnorth View Post
    Can this registry change be pushed out through group policy I seem to be able to google proxy any chance you remembered what you typed in? I have typed this question into google and can't seem to find much on it???
    Yes, it can. Definitely. Can't remember though. Will try and chase

  12. #12

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,745
    Thank Post
    313
    Thanked 337 Times in 251 Posts
    Rep Power
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Group Policy Preferences. It's available in the GP settings, under Preferences at the bottom. It can save you a huge amount of faffing with scripts etc, for many tasks.
    Under Group Policy - User Configuration - Preferences I can't see anyway of setting Proxy setting for IE. Am I being stupid I feel like I'm missing something. Sorry first proper job as Network Manager haha!!!

  13. #13


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,647
    Thank Post
    229
    Thanked 865 Times in 743 Posts
    Rep Power
    297
    go to user config / preferences / control panel / internet settings right click on the right side of teh screen and new ie 10 then fill in as you would if you were doing it manually on a pc (so connections lan settings) but remember to press f6 to make any settings go green and ive found its much less reliable deploying these swttings than the ie9< way it just sometimes dosent do them but i tend to find any gpp setting hit and miss

  14. #14

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,745
    Thank Post
    313
    Thanked 337 Times in 251 Posts
    Rep Power
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    go to user config / preferences / control panel / internet settings right click on the right side of teh screen and new ie 10 then fill in as you would if you were doing it manually on a pc (so connections lan settings) but remember to press f6 to make any settings go green and ive found its much less reliable deploying these swttings than the ie9< way it just sometimes dosent do them but i tend to find any gpp setting hit and miss
    Thankyou for your detailed info though I only saw IE6, 7 and 8 under new no 9 or 10 which worries me slightly this is just becoming a nuisance now having to go to every user on every machine to tick the proxy box! It puts the proxy in it just won't tick the damn box !!!! This is my first time and I'm really proud of the network I have put in made a huge difference but when staff can't access internet you can imagine they don't appreciate all the other stuff you have done just because it won't tick that silly box Help

  15. #15

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,823
    Thank Post
    146
    Thanked 572 Times in 516 Posts
    Rep Power
    154
    You won't see IE10 on a Server 2008 R2 server, only IE8. The IE8 one works for IE9, and if you modify the xml of the policy (do a search of the forum) it can also operate IE10.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st August 2010, 08:49 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th February 2010, 10:41 PM
  3. DHCP DNS AD all died at the same time!
    By CHR1S in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30th November 2009, 11:12 AM
  4. b/g and n wireless at the same time
    By rocknrollstar in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th November 2009, 08:11 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •