+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Need help with AD users transfer on new (hard) drive - AD/Group Policy related in Technical; We have put in a new hard drive on our main admin server where we have copied all out users ...

Thank Post

Need help with AD users transfer on new (hard) drive - AD/Group Policy related

We have put in a new hard drive on our main admin server where we have copied all out users and all settings onto and have also established the folder that is in a share. The main thing I am confused on is that in Active Directory the users folder is already listed in user propeties as connection to H drive: "\\serbername\HOME\user" and in group policy we have a policy listed as

Security Settings - Users

Policies
    Windows Settings
    Folder Redirection
    Document
    Setting: Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location)hide
    Path: %HOMESHARE%%HOMEPATH%

With all folders underneath such as music and videos linked to apply the same setting above.

How do I edit the group Policy so it goes to our new drive share where all the users folders and settings/permissions have been copied onto and so it doesn't see the old onew as I've not done anything with the above syntax before and the previous technician has left? The current folder they are in is in a share folder called "HOME" in a folder on one hard drive in D: and our new one is "STAFF" in a hard drive E:

Hope this all helps, I'd greatly appreciate it, I don't want to edit a setting and suddenly when Admin Staff log in they don't see their drives or whatever crazy dickery ensues :P

Thank Post
    In this case I don't think you will need to edit Group Policy. However, you will need to edit your AD accounts.

For example you stated that the old share is \\servername\HOME\username and in AD the drive letter is set to H:\

you will need to change your AD accounts to the new server\share path so in your case \\servername\STAFF\username - you shouldn't need to edit the drive letter.

if you have multiple accounts to change you can do a mass update by selecting all, selecting properties and editing the homepath to \\servername\staff\%username% (%username% will automatically fill the username details for you on all the accounts you selected)

Group policy uses the details that you enter here for the redirection hence you not having to change these settings they should update automatically at next logon.

I suggest you try this on one account before you proceed to do all of them

HTH

3. Thanks to sister_annex from:

ZombieFred (21st August 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks matey, that works like a charm! I understand now what that homeshare stuff is now Owe you bud!

Thank Post
    No problem

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread