Poll: How is your AD structured?

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, How do you structure your AD? in Technical; Hi all, We're just weighing up a few options and wanted to gauge others opinions regarding Active Directory structure. We ...

Thank Post

How do you structure your AD?

Hi all,

We're just weighing up a few options and wanted to gauge others opinions regarding Active Directory structure. We currently have two forests for staff/students with an interforest trust. This causes some problems with LDAP integrated applications which can only access one LDAP server. Naturally we could try and negate this with an LDAP proxy, but for the sake of balance, I wanted to create a poll to see how others are structuring their Active Directory.

If you wish to add any further feedback, please comment in the thread as well as voting in the poll.

Thanks in advance,
    Karl
    Last edited by aceonbass; 16th August 2013 at 02:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Wow, 8 votes for single forest and domain.

Do you really run staff and students under the same, single domain? I can understand the ease of administration but are there not any security flaws with this set up?
    Last edited by aceonbass; 16th August 2013 at 02:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aceonbass View Post

Do you really run staff and students under the same, single domain. I can understand the ease of administration but are there not any security flaws with this set up?
    Not when passwords are on post-its and staff logon for students with disabled accounts. Sometimes it's actually easier to secure due to the visibility of permissions without having to remember any trusts etc.

Thank Post
    why split it across domains surely teachers use pupil pcs and vice versa?
    i can just about see a reason to split userfils across servers (apart from storage spacw) bot across domains what does it gain apart from more stuff to manage and more points of failure?

Thank Post
    Beauty in simplicity.

Thank Post
    We used to have 2 forests back when RM set things up (before my time), this was a pain and as you said some LDAP Apps don't like the trusts, we migrated to a single forest and domain not long after i started.

All ours users live under the same Root OU with Staff and Student OU's under that, it makes things very simple when applying group policies that everyone need.
    Our Students also have a different email domain to staff.

Thank Post
    I can see the OP's logic with splitting the domains, but it seems analogous to the old curriculum/admin network model in that it's generally thought too unwieldy for modern use. However, a workable scenario in which a compromise in security on the pupil side does not affect operations on the other, be it "all staff" or simply "admin staff", would certainly be very interesting to hear more about.

However, as long as you have trusts, the infrastructures are never truly separate and, having observed a security breach that arose from inappropriately-configured trust permissions (first rule of endpoint security: never assume there hasn't been a cock-up upstream), I would imagine the benefits to security are less than might be expected as you have only made something harder to achieve, not impossible.

Thank Post
    I've never seen anyone able to come up with any specific examples of security problems that would reliably be prevented by having split domains. And yet I can think of many examples of headaches such a set-up would cause.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Multiple domains does generally double your workload in my experience. A single properly configured domain with the appropriate permissions is the way forward.

However having a single domain over multiple WAN links for a cluster of schools or businesses does make things complicated. I think you have to draw a line somewhere in terms of ease of management and whether or not a cluster of schools (for example) actually need to be part of a single domain structure, or would be better off with a separate domain per site with/without a trust.
    Last edited by Michael; 18th August 2013 at 11:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Hence the need for a forest - perhaps someone in an Academy Federation can comment on how forests (or in fact trees at this level) have been implemented to simplify administration?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Hence the need for a forest - perhaps someone in an Academy Federation can comment on how forests (or in fact trees at this level) have been implemented to simplify administration?
    Generally speaking - the biggest issues I've come across whereby an academy has implemented a single domain across multiple WAN links is replication and people with the same name, which is inevitable if you have a common surname. It's also going to create a lot of web traffic if you have many users changing their passwords or you have many admins creating/modifying GPOs. It all adds up. You also have to take upgrades into consideration. Updating servers acting as DCs from 2008 R2 to 2012 at each site needs to be done correctly, otherwise you could 'bugger' the whole domain.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Do you really run staff and students under the same, single domain? I can understand the ease of administration but are there not any security flaws with this set up?
    What security flaws do you believe there would be? Do you have two separate totally isolated networks as well that staff and students use? If not, then whatever additional security you think you have with using two domains does not really exist. If anything, it would create a false sense of security I fear and lead to security lapses in other areas on the network.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For the reasons above, I couldn't see a reason to use multiple forests or domains these days with exception to where business requirements or the facilities differ - for instance, if a nursery attached to a school is financed/ran separately but physically connected and sharing a system perhaps, if that were to help with data requirements. Naturally it'd also be a different case for WAN connected schools (academy chains being a popular example) - I would hope that should such a chain wish to connect in that manner, it would be via a parent and child domain setup where the local school had full control over the child domain, ensuring that should the WAN link separate the school or its adminstrators would have no difficulty in continuing to run their system as required. Synchronisation could, if required, be set to occur a couple of times a day rather than being live.

Thank Post
    Do you really run staff and students under the same, single domain?
    We went to single domain 8 1/2 years ago. Much simpler.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I believe back when Sims originally came out it was a recommendation that Sims sat in a separate Admin domain to the students.

The only way I can see have a single Forest would be good in an Academy Federation as mentioned above, Having 1 forest but say each secondary school having its own domain.

Having 2 forests and then multiple domains doesn't make sense personally in my head.

But I have also have a client spread all over the south east at 10 sites using a single domain and DFS replicating user data back to the HQ for backing up. A common data folder is then replicated between all sites.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast