+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Sorting our local profiles ????? :( in Technical; Hey guys Thankyou for all your help so far. One major problem I seem to be having is that when ...

Thank Post

Sorting our local profiles ????? :(

Hey guys

Thankyou for all your help so far. One major problem I seem to be having is that when a student or member of staff login to a machine it takes forever to log them in I think this is due to the fact it's creating a local profile on that machine for that user as it says Preparing Desktop for ages.

It can't be our network we have Gigabit throughout file transfers are very quick!!

Does anyone know of a solution where maybe I can store the users profile somewhere else on a server and each machine uses that to log them in? How do you set it up?

Thankyou guys - Just another project to look at, at the already busy schedule this summer sigh !!

Thank Post
    Are you after roaming profiles? Each user has there own profile that is stored on a server and they pull that down everytime they log on.

If so its extremely easy to set up.

Thank Post
    Yes that's right I think I figured it out under profiles on AD. Though would you know a simple way that I could push this out to all users rather than deleteing all users and starting again we have around 600 people here Thanks Matey!!

Thank Post
    The quickest way to add the profile to all the users would be to open AD Users & Computers and go the the OU where your users are and then select them all and click 'Properties'.

adusers.png

Then go along to 'Profile' and put the tick in the profile section and enter the profile path. For example \\server\staff\%username% , if you use the example using %username% put the users username into there profile path for you.

adusers properties.png

You will need to repeat the above steps for each OU you have users in.

Hope that helps you

Thank Post
    Hello Thankyou for all your help though when I select all and click properties I only am seeing the general tab which allows me to change the description of the items and nothing else I'm on windows server 2008 R2 your O/S looks newer compared to mine are you running 2012?

Thank Post
    I have remote server administration tools installed on my windows 7 machine. This is so i don't have to jump onto a DC to do active directory work such as password resets.

Make sure that you only have user objects selected in active directory as if you select another object such as an OU or a Computer it wont show the profile section.

7. Thanks to nev104 from:

abillybob (15th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Oh yeah haha I had a security group in there!!! Thankyou very much mate for all your help!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread