+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Connection apple 10.8.4 to windows in Technical; Looking for a bit of help I'm trying to get an MacAir onto the network so we can use printopia ...

Thank Post

Connection apple 10.8.4 to windows

Looking for a bit of help I'm trying to get an MacAir onto the network so we can use printopia and be able to print from ipads.

I am following this tutorial How to join a Mac OS X computer to Active Directory - 4sysops

We are using windows 2008 r2
    From my understanding the domain controller is called DC1
    and the active directory is school.local

on the binding page I have tried school.local and dc1.school.local in the Active Directory Domain field.
    Also afte clicking bind in the username i have used administrator and school\administrator and I get
    Authentication server could not be contacted or
    unable to connect to server.

Any Ideas?

Thank Post
    The problem revolves around the .local domain have a look here it might shed some light on the problem Mac OS X and .local Domains - blog.scottlowe.org - The weblog of an IT pro specializing in virtualization, storage, and servers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    Looking for a bit of help I'm trying to get an MacAir onto the network so we can use printopia and be able to print from ipads.

I am following this tutorial How to join a Mac OS X computer to Active Directory - 4sysops

We are using windows 2008 r2
    From my understanding the domain controller is called DC1
    and the active directory is school.local

on the binding page I have tried school.local and dc1.school.local in the Active Directory Domain field.
    Also afte clicking bind in the username i have used administrator and school\administrator and I get
    Authentication server could not be contacted or
    unable to connect to server.

Any Ideas?
    You can certainly bind 10.8.4 to a .local domain without a problem. I've done it numerous times. Using a .local is definitely not optimal or recommended, but it will certainly work out of the box and with a 2008R2 server as well.

You should be using "school.local" as the domain name when binding and not "dc1.school.local". Check that the time on the 10.8.4 client isn't off more than five minutes from the server. If it is, you will never get the client bound. Set the NTP server on the Mac client to be the same as that of the server (or for the AD server to be the NTP server n the client if that server is the master NTP server for the domain - it probably is).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glen_j View Post
    The problem revolves around the .local domain have a look here it might shed some light on the problem Mac OS X and .local Domains - blog.scottlowe.org - The weblog of an IT pro specializing in virtualization, storage, and servers
    That article is way old and is four major versions of OSX outdated. I used both 10.5 and 10.6 with .local domains (again not optimal, but works out of the box). There was a problem with .local domains and the first version of Lion (10.7), but it was fixed and 10.8 has been fine. The 10.8.4 release version even included an improvement to login speeds for .local AD domains

"Improves Active Directory log-in performance, especially for cached accounts or when using a .local domain"

5. Thanks to seawolf from:

MattDLEA (13th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Connected now.

Just having trouble getting printopia to see the printers. The mac can see them and print to them but not displayed in printopia

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    Connected now.

Just having trouble getting printopia to see the printers. The mac can see them and print to them but not displayed in printopia
    Can you give a bit more information about the specific problem (e.g. Mac server Printopia is installed on if any, VLANs used on your network if any, what you're trying to accomplish with it)?

The Mac where you have Printopia or Printopia pro installed has have the printers installed for Printopia to see them. Are you using Printopia to setup AirPrint for iPads or are you going to use it for your Mac clients?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread