+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Problem with Domain Controller and Additional Domain Controller in Win SRV 2008 R2 in Technical; Hi Everyone, I have Two server installed with Windows 2008 server R2. I have configured those two server in following ...

Thank Post

Question Problem with Domain Controller and Additional Domain Controller in Win SRV 2008 R2

Hi Everyone,

I have Two server installed with Windows 2008 server R2. I have configured those two server in following manner:

Server Name : BHT-DC
    IP Address : 192.168.1.252
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway : 192.168.1.10

Preferred DNS Server : 192.168.1.252
    Alternate DNS Server : 192.168.1.253

Server Name : BHT-ADC
    IP Address : 192.168.1.253

Steps followed to configure the Domain Controller Server :

I configured using the procedures from this link Setting Up Your First Domain Controller With Windows Server 2008

Steps followed for congifure the Additional Domain Controller server :

I configured using the procedures from this link Setting Up an Additional Domain Controller With Windows Server 2008

I tested with creation of domain users in Active Directory to see whether the changes are been affected on ADC server, and i have found that its getting updated.

Problem :

When i turn off the Domain Controller server and keeping Additional Domain Controller running to see whether the Additional Domain Controller server is giving the backup service in the network, but this seems to be not working, our client PC are not able to login in their respective PC using domain users.

I also tried in the reverse way by shutting down the Additional Domain Controller and keeping Domain Controller ON but still its giving similar problems.

I think the roles for the servers has got split among those two servers, as what i have found out is that TO HAVE SUCCESSFULL RUNNING OF NETWORK BOTH THE SERVER SHOULD BE RUNNING AND IF ONE OF THE SERVER IS TURNED OFF THEN PROBLEM STARTS.

Is there any ways to find out where it went wrong, as configuration of ADC is first time for me. Is it possible to merge the roles of domain server into single server so that i can reconfigure my ADC once again? I am worried that if i demote my ADC server then i would face problem.

HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATE TO FIX MY ABOVE SAID PROBLEMS FORM THE EXPERTS OUT HERE.

Thanks,

TashiDuks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you moved any roles yourself? The network should run fine with the DC that holds all roles if offline.

Are your clients pointing to both DC's for DNS?

Are both DC's Global Catalogue servers?

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    2008 R2 should by default create a DC as a Global server, as FN-GM states that should be enough. I've recovered a Domain before with from just GC and DNS on a second domain controller.

Both servers should have DNS installed, possibly Active Directory Integrated, set up the DC's so the preferred DNS is the local servers IP and the other DNS server is a secondary.

You may also look at create a split DHCP onto the 2nd DC which is much easier in Server 2008 R2 and would give you further resilience.

run a dcdiag on both servers.

Thank Post
    @FN-GM,

Thanks for the prompt response. Well to answer your question. The first thing is i didnt moved any role myself, all the roles are configured to those servers after i run the above mentioned procedures where i mentioned the link. As per the manual which i have followed to configure DC and ADC, it should be working fine like, if DC server is down ADC should get active and give the service but it is not happening.

Both ther servers are DC Global catalogue servers and all the clients are pointing to DC's for DNS (all the client are having 192.168.1.252 as prefered DNS and 192.168.1.253 as alternate DNS).
    Last edited by TashiDuks; 8th August 2013 at 12:04 PM.

Thank Post
    @Davit2005,

yes both the server have DNS installed and Active Directory Integrated in both the servers. Can you give me more information about recovering the domain from GC and DNS on the second domain controller. By looking at the current scenerio and the problem which i am facing, will it be possible to merge TWO DC's role into single server?

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Seems a bit strange TBH

One DC generally holds the Most FSMO roles, i.e. PDC Emulator, Operations Master, Schema master etc. the other DC just needs to be a Global Catalog there are some best practices for Role placements from Microsoft so may well be worth looking at that. As long as you have more than one Global catalog you should be able to rescue the other roles if the worse happens and you loose the server that holds the major FSMO roles.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    For a start you want the second DC to look at itself for DNS then the other server.

I.e

Preferred DNS Server : 192.168.1.253
    Alternate DNS Server : 192.168.1.252

Thank Post
    @TashiDuks

I don't think you understand. The domain controllers as you have said are both global catalogue servers which means that they are active active when it comes to servicing login requests etc. the users should still be able to log on if the dc that holds the famo roles is down. As people have said the primary Dns address on each server should be set to 127.0.0.1 which is its self and the secondary Dns address should be the ip of the other server. Please set like this and test. If still not working post back and I will help further.

Nick

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What are the DNS settings on your clients?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    For a start you want the second DC to look at itself for DNS then the other server.

I.e

Preferred DNS Server : 192.168.1.253
    Alternate DNS Server : 192.168.1.252

Sorry but i don't agree with this, your DC's primary DNS server should be the other/another DNS server not its local DNS server, its local DNS server should be the secondary.
    If you run Active Directory best practices wizard on windows 2008 R2 and above it tells you this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    if it was me I would check my dcdiag and would see what errors are popping up. I would also check that the srv records are correct and also that in the dhcp settings of the clients that you have specified both servers. I assume you have dns running on both of them I would also make sure that the server / zone updates (name servers )on the dns servers are correct it might also be worth checking your sites and services to make sure that you have 2 servers listed

it might be worth also checking the event logs of the clients to see what error messages they are coming up with

if you are not sure of the fmso roles then run this command
    netdom query /domain:<domain>

hope this helps

Thank Post
    @ Everyone

I have run one query to check the FSMO:

C:\>netdom query fsmo
    Schema master RDB-DC.rdb.bt
    Domain naming master RDB-DC.rdb.bt
    PDC RDB-DC.rdb.bt
    RID pool manager RDB-DC.rdb.bt
    Infrastructure master RDB-DC.rdb.bt
    The command completed successfully.

I get same query result in both the server (DC and ADC). As per the query above it clearly says that the primary domain holds the primary roles. Still i have a problem.

The problem is :

When i turn OFF the DC Server and keeping ADC Server ON, all the clients face probolem with network.
    When i turn OFF the ADC Server and keeping DC SERVER ON, all the clients face probolem with network.

When i turn ON the DC SERVER and TURN ON ADC SERVER then the network works smoothly.

As per the scenerio which i have configured, when DC SERVER gets down with some reason then ADC should have a capability to give the service to the client machine with making network down.

Please help me.

Thanks,

TashiDuks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What service is ur dhcp on

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also what does the event logs say for the application and same goes for clients

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    in ur server dns what intergated mode is it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast