+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Need drivers for server OS upgrade in Technical; Hi everyone Having a thick moment and need your help please. I have the old school server which I want ...

Thank Post

Need drivers for server OS upgrade

Hi everyone

Having a thick moment and need your help please.

I have the old school server which I want to set up as my test bench. It was running Server 2003 SP2 32 bit* and I want to put 2008R2 64 bit on it. I put in my installation disk and of course failed as it couldn't find drivers for the HDD. Is there an easy way of finding all the drivers I need to get it going? It pre-dates my time in the school, but the OS licence for it was Server 2008, so I'm guessing it's probably from about that time.

Thanks as ever.

Forgot to mention, it's a custom build, so nothing as simple as going to the vendor's website.

Hmm. Might be wrong on that: can't find anything in system details / control panel / that mentions that it's any particular number of bits, but just found the original installation disk which mentions 64 bit....
    Last edited by jmak; 26th July 2013 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    If its still got the original o/s on it then log in and look up what the storage drivers are. Go to that vendors website and pick up the drivers you need. Load these during the initial build phase.

3. Thanks to fiza from:

jmak (26th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    If its still got the original o/s on it then log in and look up what the storage drivers are. Go to that vendors website and pick up the drivers you need. Load these during the initial build phase.
    Thanks. I had tried this with the first device - the RAID controller - and didn't come up with anything. It's an LSI Megaraid 510 and their website didn't offer a 2008 r2 driver. Also the list is quite long, so I was being lazy and hoping for a bit of software to discover the devices and then go away and get me links to the drivers for an up to date OS. Guess I'll just have to put a bit more effort in

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

6. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

jmak (26th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Well must be the season for it as just had a very similar situation with an old server although for 2003, problem getting raid driver and spent ages trying so as tbere is only a single disk in the server at the moment and others can be added as separate as needed...figured out easiest option was to just turn raid off in bios! hey presto now got server up and running. Bit of a cop out I know but got what I wanted in end as I didnt need raid anyway for what its doing, incidentaly raid was on board LSI as well. May help you move forward.

Thank Post
    Most of the custom server builds are based around either Intel or Supermicro kits, take the lid off and see if there are any model numbers on the motherboard and also see if the raid controller is integrated, in which case the drivers may be available from the motherboard manufacturers.
    There were quite a few RAID controller manufacturers who disappeared around 2003, some folded or were bought out and their tech incorporated into other vendors kit, so you might not have a great deal of success finding drivers. You could try forcing the 2003 drivers onto it, that sometimes works.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread