+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Turn off the server? in Technical; Just had an email from the LA suggesting that the admin server should be turned off over the summer. What ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts

Turn off the server?

Just had an email from the LA suggesting that the admin server should be turned off over the summer. What does everyone think? I was always advised not to switch off servers and had no intention of switching off the admin server or indeed my curriculum servers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,641 Posts
    I won't shut a server down unless I have to. Is there nobody on site at all who might need it?

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We keep our servers running during the break [Secondary school, if that's a factor]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not a chance! If its totally not needed for 6 weeks I would consider it, but imagine if someone came into school and wanted to use something on that server...

Thank Post
    Do they say why? I'd ask them; as you rightly say, you shouldn't shut a server down without good reason.

Thank Post
    I'd understand if it was a small primary school and their "server" was just a desktop PC used in the office, any other "server" would leave working unless the power needed to go off.

Thank Post
    I never turn my servers off. Unless they are turning the power off for any reason. For two weeks, during the summer, we are having whole new network infrastructure installed. Two weeks the servers will be disconnected from the network but I'm still not turning them off.

Thank Post
    Had to turn mine off this week for PAT testing, I wasn't too happy about it! (Had good uptimes) Not entirely sure why they needed testing but ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,641 Posts
    In secondaries, the chances are that there will be people on site, or remoting in, throughout the holiday... so powering the servers down wouldn't be an option.

Many independents of all age ranges are open throughout the holidays, especially to admin staff.

Some primary schools may shut their doors completely during the holidays and not have remote access. They are also likely to have their servers in a room that isn't air-conditioned. If this is the case, then I might consider shutting the server down, but I probably wouldn't!

Witch is talking about the Admin Server here. In Kent primaries particularly, SIMS is on a server managed by KCC's EIS and the rest of the network is usually managed by someone else and could run without it. That's not to say shutting it down would be a good idea!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guess it depends on the situation.
    In the old days, for us, when only a couple of people used sims, the admin/sims 'server' was just a higher spec workstation which was switched off every night and during holidays.
    Now that sims is used throughout the school by staff and we have a proper server I wouldn't dream of turning it off in the holidays. Staff are in and out over the holidays and I would just get phone calls asking why it wasn't working...

Thank Post
    We used to power down non essential servers during Christmas but there was always something that wouldn't come back up lol

Murphys law

We only do it now for essential maintenance

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,462 Posts
    NOOOO!!!!!!!!!

That is all

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    NOOOO!!!!!!!!!

That is all

Ben
    Yes, but why not?
    The question really was "is it bad for the server?" This is indeed the SIMS server - the admin network is accessed by the office staff, the head and deputy and the SENCo. I am presuming that none of these people need access to the server in the holidays. I believe the LA have sent out this message primarily because of the heat. The admin server is just under the finance officer's desk and is used as her computer. (Presumably originally it was just a higher spec workstation)
    My servers (HP Proliants) are in a reasonably sized room, sideways on the work surface with a good air gap all round.

I know that if I turn mine off - due to imminent power cuts - the older one doesn't come up properly until you do the capacitor discharge bit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't shut my servers down if I can help it, I don't like the prospect of coming in and it not starting up properly again for whatever reason.

On another note, is it a Domain Controller too? It might be worth keeping in mind Active directory and the Tombstone life, shouldn't really be an issue, but just in case.

Edit: just realised it's no a domain controller so not an issue.
    Last edited by Cache; 20th July 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    Had to turn mine off this week for PAT testing, I wasn't too happy about it! (Had good uptimes) Not entirely sure why they needed testing but ...
    Servers aren't portable and should only be visually inspected I've argued with two electricians over this and won after one ripped out the sockets without bothering to see what was at the other end, you think a big yellow sign that says SERVERS do not disconnect was a subtle enough hint but some people are a special kind of stupid...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast