+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Turn off the server? in Technical; This is it - there's a lot of common sense involved. Test as per the risk - server installations are ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is it - there's a lot of common sense involved. Test as per the risk - server installations are naturally low risk environments, whereas a kettle, toaster etc are far higher risk. Devices with big sticky out plugs that are likely to get knocked out of sockets would be a good example for school IT stuff of what is high risk.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    thank you
    The admin server IS a DC for the admin network - and I have absolutely nothing to do with it. I don't know if they need it over the summer or not.
    The finance officer who uses the server as her computer, knows nothing about it as a server.It is quite new though and has been moved around quite a lot over the last few months due to building works, and it is has always come up again with no problems. I just wondered what people thought.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    The idea of a DC being used as someone's desktop fills me with terror, as does switching off a DC (especially if its the only one) for any length of time. Having said that, needs must I guess. I'd be reluctant to turn it off and equally reluctant to leave it on in the environment you describe if no one's going to be there to keep an eye on it, so I'm not sure where that leaves us...

Thank Post
    If it's a DC then it really really shouldn't be switched off over the summer, if you also run a secondary DC then neither should be switched off. If you want to find out why, try restoring the backup to a machine with the date set 6 weeks in the future and see what happens. You may be very very lucky and it works, but chances are you'll get a completely borked DC as they really are time sensitive. Server 2012 solves a lot of the problems but I presume you're not on that.

XiJ

Thank Post
    We used to switch ours off over summer - in primary schools. Some still do. Things have moved on a little now though - better hardware, they rub more software / services, some staff might want to use them (not teachers - they're on holiday for 6 week :/ )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Yes, but why not?
    The question really was "is it bad for the server?" This is indeed the SIMS server - the admin network is accessed by the office staff, the head and deputy and the SENCo. I am presuming that none of these people need access to the server in the holidays. I believe the LA have sent out this message primarily because of the heat. The admin server is just under the finance officer's desk and is used as her computer. (Presumably originally it was just a higher spec workstation)
    My servers (HP Proliants) are in a reasonably sized room, sideways on the work surface with a good air gap all round.

I know that if I turn mine off - due to imminent power cuts - the older one doesn't come up properly until you do the capacitor discharge bit.
    I think the main reason for not wanting to turn it off is due to Active Directory, personally i think it would probably throw a hissy fit if it was off for that long.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    I can understand why the LA have recommended this - to save energy primarily, however in reality staff do work during the summer. If the server's switched off, who do you think they'll call to get it back on and running? Ghostbusters?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I can understand why the LA have recommended this - to save energy primarily, however in reality staff do work during the summer. If the server's switched off, who do you think they'll call to get it back on and running? Ghostbusters?
    They'd call for batman with his big light, but knowing teachers they'll leave the light on once they're done, thus wasting all the energy they would have saved with the server off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    They'd call for batman with his big light, but knowing teachers they'll leave the light on once they're done, thus wasting all the energy they would have saved with the server off.
    Too true

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I don't work holidays and I don't support that network, so it won't be me!

Thank Post
    I wouldn't normally turn off my Server 2008R2 servers but due to massive refurbishment / building work taking place right next door to the server room I decided to fully shut them down for the past 2 weeks while I was off on holiday & couldn't keep a close eye on what's happening nearby.

Hopefully it was the right move - I hated the thought of severe vibrations affecting the hard drives etc while the servers were on & the possibility of losing power over an extended period despite assurances power to the room would be isolated.

Thank Post
    We're having a load of gas works done, what could possibly go wrong

Thank Post
    Never mind over the holidays. I seriously considered turning ours off during the school day last week. It was over 30 degrees c outside, warmer in the school building and when I opened the server room door, a big blast of heat hit me. Instructions say max operating ambient temp is 35. Must have been quite close to that. Still, now that we're about to break up, I'm sure it won't be so warm...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    We're having a load of gas works done, what could possibly go wrong
    We're having a new A/C unit installed to replace the somewhat pathetic thing we currently have... well, alright, maybe 'pathetic' is a bit much. However, that would describe perfectly the clod who installed it facing the wrong way!

We're having it installed... sometime. We're not quite sure when yet. I think I'll join you behind the sofa.

Thank Post
    Air con in the server room is something I'm determined to get installed this year coming. My server room is in a 2m square room with only a window barely propped open for airflow during most days unless the weathers good enough to open the window wider.

Hot isn't the word for it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123