Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, To R2 or not to R2... in Technical; As you say your 2008 box is already a DC, maybe a less risky approach for yourself, while still allowing ...
22nd July 2013, 12:13 PM #16
As you say your 2008 box is already a DC, maybe a less risky approach for yourself, while still allowing for some learning and experience would be as follows:
1) Migrate all roles to the 2008 server (very simply to do, and documented in many places online)
2) Ensure the 2008 server runs the DNS (if it doesn't already)
3) Point any and all devies at the 2008 server for DNS
4) DCpromo out the 2003 server
5) Rebuild the 2003 server to 2008 R2
6) Raise the domain\forest functional level to 2008 R2
7) Promote the new 2008 R2 machine to be a DC.
This should ensure you have continuity, should remove your risk of killing the 2008 server, and gives you the time to implement the new server without risk
Last edited by Firefox; 22nd July 2013 at 12:28 PM.
22nd July 2013, 12:20 PM #17
@Firefox has the general order of work. We have done a few server upgrades/replacements for local primary schools over the past couple of years. The one thing I would add is TIME. Seriously, you need lots of it. We spend weeks on this. At a rush I think we can do it in a fortnight. That's not to say it can't be done quicker, I just wouldn't want to. Each step needs time to make sure the changes have fully replicated across the domain controllers and are working as expected before going on to the next.
This is especially important for the DNS, Global Catalog, and FSMO roles. I've borked AD's in the past by not taking it slow.
22nd July 2013, 12:48 PM #18
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
Originally Posted by Firefox
My only issue with this, is having moved all the roles and data to the 2008 machine and demoting the 2003 machine (actually the reason it's still 2003 is that it's ancient, so not sure it will cope with 2008 R2 anyway. It's Windows folder is WINNT so that may give you some idea of its age - already upgraded from NT or 2000 at some point!) we would then be running everything on one 2008 DC. This then at some point will have to be R2'd and mean I will be in the same position if not worse, when doing an upgrade on the server that is doing everything meaning I will have to then move it all back to the 'new' R2 server!
I hope you see my point, or have I missed yours?
Thanks again for your time.
22nd July 2013, 12:55 PM #19
I can see your point about the 2003 server being very old and may not make a 2008 R2 server. But what's you plans for the box long term? I mean as you say 2003 is going, and if this server is not able to be upgraded, are you not going to be in the situation whereby you're running on 1 DC anyway? unless you plan to buy new hardware, in which case that would make you're whole plan easier anyway.
You ultimate end goal must surely be to run on 2 x 2008 R2 DC's? (assuming you want to run on more then 1 DC)
22nd July 2013, 01:13 PM #20
Yes hopefully, 2 x DC's (I know that's best practise). The 2003 will have to be replaced at some point I know. It's just that the 2008 taking the roles has always been the plan, I just figured it would be better if I R2 it now while it's not totally mission critical (2003 being the role holder at the moment) and then transfer the roles, rather than transfer it now and then back again if/when we get a new one to replace the 2003 box or have a bigger worry when I R2 the 2008 box when it will then be holding all the roles....
Agh, that looks so much more complicated typed out than it sounds in my head!
22nd July 2013, 01:21 PM #21
In all honesty, knowing the 2003 server will have to be replaced I would go down that route first. As I believe a couple of people mentioned already, upgrading the 2008 DC could bring about new issues you may not have the experience to resolve?
Before even attempting the upgrade of the 2008 server you would need to dcpromo it out, upgrade and dcpromo back in. As well as possibly looking at Schema updates in the process.
My advice for now....forget the R2 upgrade completely. Look to get another 2008 DC up and running on new kit. This will take your urgency away from going to R2, and you can spend your time planning this.
This is possibly a little overkill, but if your just looking to get off 2003 with as little risk as possible, this in my view would be it
22nd July 2013, 01:44 PM #22
Yes, I see. This was kind of my reasoning behind doing the R2 upgrade now, while the 2003 box was still 'running the show' giving me time to post all my new problems here lol :P
Originally Posted by Firefox
This I think would be an ideal solution and it makes a lot of sense. However, I'm not sure I can squeeze the school budget right now to get a new server in quickly and the urgency was really due to that after the summer, SIMS (which runs on the 2003 box) will not be supported on it anymore (although I see that plain 2008 64-bit is still supported as at Autumn 2013 so it's an option to leave it alone I guess). If I have to move SIMS to a plain 2008 box I guess I can, however I will still dread upgrading it at some point in the near future I'm sure.
Originally Posted by Firefox
Thanks again for your replies
By PiqueABoo in forum Windows Server 2008 R2
Last Post: 16th May 2011, 04:36 PM
By projector1 in forum Hardware
Last Post: 11th July 2008, 10:45 AM
By localzuk in forum Wireless Networks
Last Post: 11th December 2006, 11:16 AM
By crc-ict in forum Windows
Last Post: 15th September 2006, 10:01 PM
By CM786 in forum Windows
Last Post: 11th May 2006, 02:08 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)