+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, DNS Entries in Technical; The FACTS: Server 2008 R2 Primary and Secondary DNS Servers Third Party controlled Router and web hosting New piece of ...

Thank Post

DNS Entries

The FACTS:
    • Server 2008 R2
    • Primary and Secondary DNS Servers
    • Third Party controlled Router and web hosting
    • New piece of hardware - CCTV system with network connection
    • Man - Exploring DNS for the first time.
    • I have set a static IP address on the CCTV box

So i have been passed a CCTV box which the school i am with wishes to be able to access externally, as this was an option when sold to them.

I have set a static IP address on the CCTV box and then i was required to open 3 ports on he firewall pointing at the IP address to allow this to work internally and externally.
    I spoke with the company who manufacture this kit and they recommended the ports to open and so this has happened.

Being a school, we have our router and web hosting all managed by an external company. I sent them a change request and they have set these tasks and also have added internal and external DNS Records.

Now, this is where i am stuck as i believe I have to make changes to our internal DNS.

Set up a New Zone?
    A records? CNAME?

It is all a little bit mind blowing and i am reading frantically but, could really do with some help. Here hoping.

Look forward to hearing from anyone. It's a cold and lonely place out there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    No changes should be needed to your internal DNS if it is purely internal DNS unless its a split DNS ?

If you want to access it from home as cctv.school.lea.sch.uk whoever hosts the dns for school.lea.sch.uk needs to make DNS changes to allow that, you have mentioned you have put a request in so should have got the firewall ports opened so it should connect via the external IP you have been told to use.

You could put it in the internal dns for convenience of internal access and if you did that you would make an A Record which is all you need so you give it the name EG CCTV and the IP it points to if the device itself doesn't auto-register.

3. Thanks to john from:

Rackenford (11th July 2013)

Thank Post
    what exactly do you want to do? ( not the technical side but what is the expected outcome )?

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    You could put it in the internal dns for convenience of internal access and if you did that you would make an A Record which is all you need so you give it the name EG CCTV and the IP it points to if the device itself doesn't auto-register.
    Thank you John. I have the A Record and have called it "cctv". The third party controllers of the firewall and made the appropriate internal and external DNS adjustments so just gotta wait for the DNS changes to catch up. Now all i have to sort out some dumb ActiveX plug-in issue and we will be away. Thanks John. Really, really appreciate your advice.

Is there a way to increase your Edugeek rating? God Amongst Men!

Thank Post
    Firstly, to be able to access the Camera views and interface from any PC in the LAN. Secondly, to allow remote access. One of the features offered is accessing via a smartphone.
    This particular CCTV management box is going to be in a pretty tucked away area so general monitor use is not an easy option.
    Last edited by Rackenford; 11th July 2013 at 04:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Sounds like you have it sussed, in theory stick the software on a Pc in the school and connect to it as CCTV or your internal IP and it will just work (with the right software / active-X control / User credentials).

From home enter it as cctv.school.la.sch.uk or the external IP (some of the CCTV DVRs don't like host names in the software they give you as I found out!) and off you go.

8. Thanks to john from:

Rackenford (12th July 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread