+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Help with a Distributed File Share... in Technical; Hi, I have multiple Windows 2008 R2 and 2012 Servers connected across WAN links that are members of a DFS-R ...

Thank Post

Help with a Distributed File Share...

Hi,

I have multiple Windows 2008 R2 and 2012 Servers connected across WAN links that are members of a DFS-R group. Recently, one of my 2012 Servers has stopped replicating files with the other members. Both old and new files are not replicated to and from when created on either side.

I've checked the DFS Replication event log on the affected server and found the following event:

Log Name: DFS Replication
    Sources: DFSR
    Event ID: 2213
    Level: Warning

The DFS Replication service stopped replication on volume C:. This occurs when a DFSR JET database is not shut down cleanly and Auto Recovery is disabled. To resolve this issue, back up the files in the affected replicated folders, and then use the ResumeReplication WMI method to resume replication.

Additional Information:
    Volume: C:
    GUID: B12C7BBF-7B46-11E2-93E7-806E6F6E6963

Recovery Steps
    1. Back up the files in all replicated folders on the volume. Failure to do so may result in data loss due to unexpected conflict resolution during the recovery of the replicated folders.
    2. To resume the replication for this volume, use the WMI method ResumeReplication of the DfsrVolumeConfig class. For example, from an elevated command prompt, type the following command:
    wmic /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path dfsrVolumeConfig where volumeGuid="B12C7BBF-7B46-11E2-93E7-806E6F6E6963" call ResumeReplication

For more information, see Changes that are not replicated to a downstream server are lost on the upstream server after an automatic recovery process occurs in a DFS Replication environment in Windows Server 2008 R2.
    The affected server has 5 replicated folders under 1 namespace, all of which replication isn't working for.

Can someone please advice how I should proceed as I am quite new to DFS and worried in case I mess things up and cause loss of data.

Thanks
    Fraser

Thank Post
    I've been reading up on this tonight to try and fully understand A) what happened, B) how to fix it, and C) how to prevent it.
    During my search, I found this: DFS AutoRecovery - LedHed's Wiki

Now, would I be right in saying I need to run the first command on the broken server which will resume the DFS ?

Then, the second command on all my DFS servers which run Windows Server 2012 to prevent this happening again ?

Thanks
    Fraser
    Last edited by Fraser-09; 4th July 2013 at 02:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Finally got round to fixing this today and ran the following command on the affected Server 2012 which worked a treat
    Code:
    wmic /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path dfsrVolumeConfig where volumeGuid="{Volume-ID}" call ResumeReplication
    To find the volume ID, I did: (My DFS Folders are stored at c:\DFSFolders
    Code:
    mountvol C: /L

Then, I ran
    Code:
    wmic /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path dfsrmachineconfig set StopReplicationOnAutoRecovery=FALSE
    on all my Server 2012 servers to prevent the problem occurring again.

Fraser.
    Last edited by Fraser-09; 16th August 2013 at 12:07 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread