+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Windows 2008 R2 Server issue..DNS or CorruptComputer Account in Technical; Hi all; Yesterday my DPM went into a strop and complained it cannot backup our Finance Server that runs SQL2008 ...

Thank Post

Windows 2008 R2 Server issue..DNS or CorruptComputer Account

Hi all;

Yesterday my DPM went into a strop and complained it cannot backup our Finance Server that runs SQL2008 on a Hyper-V Host
    Intillay I could not even RDP into the server, managed to log in locally and throught he event viewer were DNS warnings, unable to contact servers etc)
    Cannot Ping servers (from the finance server) or do nslookups, mapped drives do not work and the time was out on the server, since it cannot see the DC. I could log on the the SQL 2008 Management Studio via Domain login though

No one screamed in finance because the finance drive was up and SQL 2008 was working

First thing I did was to check the cabling on swiches and moved ports (always the simple bits first) and after flushing DNS etc the server managed to do ping by other servers via DNS, nslookup ok.

However, looking at the event log it still can't contact the domain controller, it still won't map to other servers via UNC, and cannot access websites (although it tracerts and nslookups ok for BBC - Homepage for example) and my DPM still cant see it.

From the point of view of the user, the fiannce system is running, they can see the mapped finance drives ok, and I could ping finance machine ok from a PC...so all seems ok there...but would like to sort this out pending bigger issues.

I'm worried that the computer account might be corrupted..and was wondering whether to reset the computer account or disjion the finance server from the domain and rejion again, will this affect the SQL Access?

Thanks as always

Thank Post
    On further testing UNC using IP address on the finance server I can't get to other remote resource either, I think something is up with the Computer account, so should I reset the computer account through AD and rejoin the finance server to the domain? Would it affect SQL if I do this?

Thank Post
    Any sort of firewall on there?

4. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

MrWu (14th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi, Firewall turned off via group policy. Although the Internet not working bit could be related, because the Sonicwall we have is AD integrated and with Finance server not playing ball with AD and all...

But still wondering about no shared UNC access though, and network places is completely blank...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    If workstations can see this server, mapped drives and access the SQL database - it can't be DNS related or network related (in theory).

It appears accessing resources/services this server offers is OK, but dialling in via RDP doesn't work. Presumably you can access this server from the DC using UNC and ping it successfully etc...

It does look like a firewall or VLAN type issue to me.

7. Thanks to Michael from:

MrWu (14th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi

Yes so far the resources from the finance server can be accessed via other workstations and servers

I can RDP ok now.

The server is running on default LAN on the core switch

On the finance server, pinging other servers,tracert and nslookup works ok.

Firewall I doubled check is off on all servers.

It is very odd that I cannot access the default gateway via ip on the browser either (this is the Sonicwall Firewall)

Would this also effect the server browsing the internal network though? Could it be a faulty NIC card(the VM is physically assigned to a NIC)

Although SQL is working the maintenance plans (backups) are failing, which I presume ties in with accessing the domain.

Is there anything else I could test?

Thanks as always.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread