+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Deleting a shortcut that shows up in explorer but can't be found .. in Technical; Ok, so here's a weird on. I've got a shortcut in a network share to a piece of software (usual ...
    Thank Post

Deleting a shortcut that shows up in explorer but can't be found ..

Ok, so here's a weird on. I've got a shortcut in a network share to a piece of software (usual story, purchased without really investigating it and things needed setting up in a specific way etc etc).

Anyway, the shortcut had failed - don't know why, but I'm trying to do things a different way, but could do with deleting the shortcut to stop all the questions (or even just renaming the thing) however, when I try to do either I just get:

Item Not Found

Could not find this item. This is no longer located in \\server\path\. Verify the item's location and try again.

BSquared
    File Type: Folder
    Date Modified: 23/04/2013 17:07
    So, I can't get rid of it and I can't rename it, so I'm sort of stuck with it, but need it gone so I can replace it with something that works instead.

Fun Times! Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Andy T

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cludge, but... can you just set it to hidden?

Or alternatively, create a new text file in the location and name it to bsquared.exe (or whatever) - might fool it enough for your purposes

3. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

soveryapt (12th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Cludge, but... can you just set it to hidden?

Or alternatively, create a new text file in the location and name it to bsquared.exe (or whatever) - might fool it enough for your purposes
    Might work, but trust me, if there's a workaround of a workaround to be found, the staff here seem to find it. Also, can't even change tags on the thing to make it hidden. Just flippin' awkward ..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Are you on the server when you are deleting the file / shortcut or you trying to delete it from a client whilst connected or mapped to the share using a domain admin account or what exactly ?

The only time I have had it where it gives me that error message is when the Intel Driver ( more specifically igfxpers.exe is configured to launch and run with windows via msconfig and is also running in the background so task manager --> Processes --> igfxpers.exe )

Basically if you Press F5 or refresh ( right click in a free space --> refresh ) does that make the shortcut show as being deleted or none existant ?

If so then may need to disable igfxpers.exe from running via msconfig and killing it via task manager ( done this for a few of our users here ) and that stopped them having that issue where by they try and delete a file but the icon / document still shows as being there and when they try to delete the item again they get a similar or same message saying that it has already been deleted ( a quick refresh ) and the item vanishes from there desktop

Not sure if its the same problem / issue but just thought id post this up in case it is

6. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

soveryapt (12th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Are you on the server when you are deleting the file / shortcut or you trying to delete it from a client whilst connected or mapped to the share using a domain admin account or what exactly ?

The only time I have had it where it gives me that error message is when the Intel Driver ( more specifically igfxpers.exe is configured to launch and run with windows via msconfig and is also running in the background so task manager --> Processes --> igfxpers.exe )

Basically if you Press F5 or refresh ( right click in a free space --> refresh ) does that make the shortcut show as being deleted or none existant ?

If so then may need to disable igfxpers.exe from running via msconfig and killing it via task manager ( done this for a few of our users here ) and that stopped them having that issue where by they try and delete a file but the icon / document still shows as being there and when they try to delete the item again they get a similar or same message saying that it has already been deleted ( a quick refresh ) and the item vanishes from there desktop

Not sure if its the same problem / issue but just thought id post this up in case it is
    Thanks for the response.

Trying to run it from the server under the admin account and I've tried several refreshes to see if it's disappeared or not, but alas, it hasn't. Checked for the igfxpers.exe, but can't see it running (though I don't suppose it would be on a server).

Thanks again though.

8. Thanks to soveryapt from:

mac_shinobi (12th June 2013)

Thank Post
    no problem - yes that was on a few clients ( all windows 7 )

Can't you just run the exe direct or you trying to make a shortcut on a client to the unc path which is on a server ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    no problem - yes that was on a few clients ( all windows 7 )

Can't you just run the exe direct or you trying to make a shortcut on a client to the unc path which is on a server ?
    Basically, for some reason, there has been a shortcut created that seems to redirect back to a folder of the same name in the same location (I can only assume someone was trying to be helpful), so this short cut has caused the DFS to throw a wobbly and that has renamed the actual folder to being DFS.some random reference string.. so I'm trying to get rid of the shortcut so that I can get the DFS folder back to something sensible being. I can only assume some kind member of staff using the desktop shortcut found the thing not be working, so copied the intranet shortcut and tried creating a shortcut, meh, I don't know, it is a mess .. I might just have to relocate all the files under a different name and push out new shortcuts ..

Thank Post
    In that case I will leave you to it...... Be good to know what happens if you sort it out

Thank Post
    Can you delete it via dos or by using 7zip or run a check disc

Thank Post
    Tried via elevated command prompt, don't really want to go running too many things on it that aren't there given this is a server we're talking about..

Thank Post
    I had an issue like this the once and used the folders dos name to delete while in command prompt. You know the one where file name 'stupid file won't delete' in dos it's 'stupi~1' (something like that) try deleting it using that name.

If I find the site I found it on ill post here.

15. Thanks to TechieWils from:

soveryapt (13th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Open up Task Manager and stop explorer.exe - then select File > Run and type explorer.exe to restore it.

If this doesn't work then restart the server. This should clear it.

17. 2 Thanks to Michael:

mac_shinobi (13th June 2013), soveryapt (13th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechieWils View Post
    I had an issue like this the once and used the folders dos name to delete while in command prompt. You know the one where file name 'stupid file won't delete' in dos it's 'stupi~1' (something like that) try deleting it using that name.

If I find the site I found it on ill post here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Open up Task Manager and stop explorer.exe - then select File > Run and type explorer.exe to restore it.

If this doesn't work then restart the server. This should clear it.
    Thanks both. I'll check both those and see what happens when I get chance.

Thank Post
    *Hangs Head in Shame*

I fear I should be removed from the IT Brotherhood temporarily, it was my boo boo. I've been setting up DFS Shares in prep for some changes over summer, and I'd set one up for this software, that showed as a shortcut in the folder (I hadn't meant to enable it but alas) and forced the actual folder to being disrupted. Removed that and I think I've got that all sorted now.

I'll go sit in a corner somewhere with a Dunces Cap on until further notice .. lol ..

Thank Post
    The answer to this issue is simple, just ran into this problem while uninstalling vSphere Powercli 5.1 from w2008 SP1 64bit, for some reason an unsupported OS for this product which I didn't realize, who would of thought it isn't supported while it supports just about every other windows OS including 200832bit.... Anyhow, here is what you need to do: install the product on another machine. then try to uninstall again on the problem machine, note the path to the shortcut referenced in the error message, then go to the new machine and copy the shortcut over to the problem machine and place it in the directory and then you can delete the shortcut. the reason why you can't delete the shortcut is most likely - at least in my case - seemed to be because the shortcut resided in both the users desktop but also the public desktop... try it out, my guess is you will have the same success I had

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread