+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, RM CC3 and Server 2003 DC Windows Updates - HFXCC3 in Technical; Hi I wonder if anyone has experience of this. Wew are migrating to vanilla at the moment from RM CC3. ...

Thank Post

RM CC3 and Server 2003 DC Windows Updates - HFXCC3

Hi I wonder if anyone has experience of this.
    Wew are migrating to vanilla at the moment from RM CC3. We are using Windows 7 etc and will soon not be using RM CC3 XP clients. Up until now we have payed for the Windows Server / Client update packages. As we will only soon need windows updates on the RM CC3 DCs has anyone actually switched them over to native windows updates instead of using the HFXCC3 updates ? We have a WUS server for the new servers and Clients..

Thanks

Alastair

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes of course, there's no reason why not. For a similar effect, schedule all updates to download automatically, and apply them only on your approval/automatically apply them/deploy them after a set amount of time (fortnight or month maybe) to weed out the majority of the bad updates.

CC3 specific servers though, I don't know. If they're just acting as DC's and you no longer use the RM side of things then it won't be a problem.

Thank Post
    Hi Thanks for the fast reply ! The issue is that they are RM CC3 DCs.... I use the WUS server with my vanilla PCs and servers but I just wanted to check to see if I there would be any issues with using Windows updates on these CC3 servers as they will still be used until we set up the 2008 / 2012 Server DCs and migrate.. At present RM create and test update packages for these servers...
    Thanks
    Alastair

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What exactly do they do? I'm guessing if all your clients are vanilla, then they aren't handling anything important like package allocation, users, gatekeeper/GINA etc?

Running vanilla windows updates on the servers could possibly overwrite some custom files RM use and break things, but as just about all DC components are all standard Windows anyway (active directory, back end of the users as a result, DNS, DHCP) then it would rarely be an issue.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 10th June 2013 at 11:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    It should work fine, but last time I checked RM do not support the use of WSUS on CC3. If you are retaining any support from RM be prepared for them to blame WSUS if anything goes wrong with the DC from then on.

Thank Post
    We do not have a support contract any longer, the Software assurance for windows updates etc is a lot of money and I will only need it on three RM CC3 DCs for a maybe half a year that is why I am trying to find out if people have gone down this route too :-)

Alastair

Thank Post
    Hmm, I've been using WSUS to update CC3 workstations, member servers and CC3 DC's for a couple of years now. The only thing I found was the RM Password Manager software only works with .NET version 2.

Generally it's all working well though, planning on finally replacing with some new DC's this summer though

Thank Post
    Thanks for the information Tom. Were you selective on what updates were installed on the CC3 2003 Servers or did you just turn on automatic updates (either from Microsoft or WUS server with all critical updates etc seet to install) and let the servers catch up ?

Thank Post
    At first I did manual updates through the Windows update site, until moving all to WSUS later. I generally did them all, just ignoring drivers and SQL service packs. All done during the holidays/half-terms etc just to be careful!

Thank Post
    thanks ! The only think to watch out for then is low disk space on C: drive on these old servers as all the updates can take up space.. especialy if you are low. It may be wise to disable automatic downloads so you can monitor downloads if space is low..
    :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread