+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Change of School Name in Technical; Hello I was wondering if anybody on this site has gone through a school name change and how they have ...

Thank Post

Change of School Name

Hello

I was wondering if anybody on this site has gone through a school name change and how they have then approached the issue of creating a new domain and changing everything over including a new email domain using exchange server and sharepoint sserver. Due to our DNS integration with the local authority our internal and external domain are the same name (rather than .local etc) hence why we need to change our internal domain. I was thinking of building a new domain and migration everything across but wondered if there is a more simple approach

Thanks for an help

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can do a doamin rename, however if you have exchange it is not supported and you are likely to have major issues.

Thank Post
    From a SIMS perspective, if you have SOLUS3 you might run into problems as the Agent config file on the workstation has the domain in it.
    Only way around it I know is that you need to uninstall all your SOLUS3 Agents off your workstations before you change the domain name.
    Once you have changed the domain name, check the SOLUS3 system settings and channel settings to make sure the old domain is not there.
    Then install all the agents again on your workstations.

If you don't do that you end up having to go around every workstation changing the config file for SOLUS3.
    Last edited by Ghostgame; 5th June 2013 at 10:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    From a SIMS perspective, if you have SOLUS3 you might run into problems as the Agent config file on the workstation has the domain in it.
    Only way around it I know is that you need to uninstall all your SOLUS3 Agents off your workstations before you change the domain name.
    Once you have changed the domain name, check the SOLUS3 system settings and channel settings to make sure the old domain is not there.
    Then install all the agents again on your workstations.

If you don't do that you end up having to go around every workstation changing the config file for SOLUS3.

Surely changing the config file and pushing out the changes its a better way of doing it? You could use a startup script, SCCM or something.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    FN-GM's right, renaming a domain with Exchange isn't supported and you're guaranteed problems.

Best bet would be to setup a new domain with a trust between the two and slowly migrate everything across.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Surely changing the config file and pushing out the changes its a better way of doing it? You could use a startup script, SCCM or something.
    Possibly.
    If you can get it just to change the deployment server in the config file.
    You can't copy 1 config file and then past it on every workstation as the config file has a unique GUID number for that workstation.
    Uninstalling the SOLUS3 agent can be done remotely from the S3 console anyway.
    (Sorry to go off on a tangent)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah i see, not used Solus 3 yet. It should still be possible. You could also do some DNS trickery to get it to work.

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone, I had not even considered the Sims issue around Solus etc. Seems like the new seperate domain and then migration is the way to go (although a lot of work) Anybody have any idea whether it will impact on migration our Sharepoint server onto a new domain as all the exisiting authentication is against the exisiting domain. Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Ah i see, not used Solus 3 yet. It should still be possible. You could also do some DNS trickery to get it to work.
    Yes, you can but I would not recommend it with SOLUS3.
    SOLUS3 already causes me enough issues without adding DNS trickery into the mix.

Thank Post
    I did a domain rename - worked though a bit scary. We went from exchange to google apps so was not a problem. I think you can do it with Exchange 2003 but not later versions.

Thank Post
    Personally start a fresh, will save any hassle in future. You could put a trust in between your new and old one to help migrate things over.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread