+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, iSCSI - Driving me up the wall. in Technical; Morning All. Ever get that feeling when you regret starting something, but actually you have come so far you want ...
    M0MST

iSCSI - Driving me up the wall.

Morning All.

Ever get that feeling when you regret starting something, but actually you have come so far you want to see it out till the end.

Anyway, I have a Netgear ReadyNas Ultra2 which has been used as a very basic NAS for the last 12 months just for storing basic images and videos to take the strain away from main file servers. I have now enabled iSCSI and a 700GB partition which has married up with our Server2008R2 main very well. Created the drive and set folders/permissions and then deployed to the network.

Issue I am now having is there is no write/modify access to the device. I have set the correct permissions to allow anyone in the StaffLocal or Administrators group full NTFS Permissions, and confirmed that using the very handy NTFS Permissions reporter free. Using the server and the main domain admin account I managed to transfer files to the device from their old location.

You can now see the files, open them, play or copy them with no issues. However try and write, delete or make any modifications and you will be thrown out. The administrator account on the server still has full read/write access, however the admin account on any other server or pc away from the hosting server only has read access, of course that goes for all other users across the network.

I have opened a support case with Netgear just in case, but thought I would check here just to make sure I have not missed something blindingly obvious, as you can probably tell my first attempt with iSCSI

Thank Post
    Can you write to the partition via any other protocol? (e.g. can you access the partition via CIFS/SMB?)

3. Thanks to pantscat from:

Thank Post
    Is it not to do with iSCSI and LUNs? And how each device can't see changes to the LUN you setup.

5. Thanks to Achandler from:

Thank Post
    Just to clarifiy:

You have an iSCSI LUN shared on the ReadyNAS
    You connect to this from a Server 2008R2 machine (sees it as a disk)
    You have partitioned the disk within Server 2008R2 machine
    You are able to copy files locally as admin on the server 2008R2 machine
    You have shared folders/drive from the 2008R2 machine via SMB on your network
    You can see folders/files on the server 2008R2 share from other machines but cannot write

If above is correct, have you checked share permissions (not NTFS)? I think default is read only...

If you think about it from a storage point of view - if you had a machine with a disk connected via SATA, and you could write locally, but not remotely to it, would you think an issue with the disk/sata or with the remote access onto the machine?
    Last edited by Willott; 22nd May 2013 at 12:27 PM.

7. Thanks to Willott from:

M0MST
    You have an iSCSI LUN shared on the ReadyNAS - Yes,
    You connect to this from a Server 2008R2 machine (sees it as a disk) - Yes,
    You have partitioned the disk within Server 2008R2 machine - Yes,
    You are able to copy files locally as admin on the server 2008R2 machine - Yes
    You have shared folders/drive from the 2008R2 machine via SMB on your network - Yes
    You can see folders/files on the server 2008R2 share from other machines but cannot write - Yes

If above is correct, have you checked share permissions (not NTFS)? I think default is read only. - Yes I have, Just as a test I have shared the root drive L:, Enabled everyone read write in the share, Set NTFS Permissions to everyone full control, still the same.

I agree with your statement it would assume its self as an access issue to the machine. There are 4 other physical drives shared from this server with no issues, including 1 VHD which works seamlessly.

M0MST
    Solved. Thanks all, Netgear came back firmware update required, just updated and its working fine. The issue came from the IQN name being "too long" an issue with the earlier firmware, its now working fine.

Early lunch time.

Thank Post
    That's useful information to know - did they say which end the IQN was too long on (ie was it the Netgear not coping with the length of windows IQN or windows not coping with netgear IQN)? and a suprising cause of the issue.

M0MST
    They didn't say and actually I should really question whether that was the issue. I suppose its working now so it could have been anything. It didn't list that as an Issue in the firmware update but they don't always list everything.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread