+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Pupil Logins in Technical; What format does everybody use for pupil logons ??? We are a primary school and over the years the LEA ...

Thank Post

Pupil Logins

What format does everybody use for pupil logons ???

We are a primary school and over the years the LEA implemented a login system that comprises of alpha \ numeric code with the same for the password, as you can appreciate when your’ talking of 5 year old children just logging on can take the whole lesson.

This logon the follows them all the way through to leaving primary school, I am planning on changing the structure of the logons in the summer to the following;

Nursery – n (with no password)
    Foundation - r (with no password)
    Year 1 – y1 (with no password)
    Year 2 – Chrstian Initial followed by surname e.g. asmith (with no password)
    Year 3 upwards will have the same as year 2 pupils but with a password which will the follow them through to year 6. I did hear somewhere though that you were not allowed to use a pupils name as a logon has anybody else heard of this before I implement it ???

Thank Post
    I did hear somewhere though that you were not allowed to use a pupils name as a logon has anybody else heard of this before I implement it ???
    I that were the case, then there would be a lot of schools in the wrong. We use intake year, surname, first initial of firstname 10BloggsF

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    "N" and "R" are quite commonplace round here - after all you want to get them using the machines rather than spending half the lesson teaching them to remember something that is low on both their and your priorities.

There's a vast array of alternatives seen otherwise. My favourite for a primary school is the first 2 letters of each name after their year of entry which starts in Y1 - so 13JOBL for Joe Bloggs starting this year. Like much else though it can get a little confusing when there's people with the same name/nearly the same name, and can even cause issues for the kids themselves as they want to be seen as "The Real Joe Bloggs" and not 13JOBL1 or similar.

I've heard the username rumour before as well but have paid no heed to it. It wouldn't take anyone long to figure out a login if it's their full name or initials, and not sure it would have any more impact on data/child protection than any other school system.

Thank Post
    we use the wsgfl convention

fred bloggs becomes

blogf001

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have a search there are endless threads asking this.

Thank Post
    We use a year group name followed by dot followed by first initial and surname.

For example boys in
    year 1 could be ed.jbloggs or ed.jbond
    And girls would be Emma.jbloggs etc...

This way if we need to to script anything we can group all the ed. or Emma. Or other year groups easily.

Passwords in reception to year 6 are all the same and can be changed if needed. Year 7 to six form have their password reset every year to something random which they can change

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Small school usinfg yesr if reception entry and surname initial

E.g. 07AlisonJ

We did have an Aljcia probelm in one year group a few years ago where there were 3 Alicias in one class of 12 children and their surnames all started with the same letter, but hopefully that's the worst it will get!

We do abbreviate where children are known by a short form, so young Josephine had the login 08JoF

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use a combination of things:

- all students get an account consisting of the first six letters of their last name followed by the last four of their student number
    - the passwords for K-5 accounts are all set to the same thing and cannot be changed
    - elementary buildings get a generic account named after their building with a password that is the same as the logon name
    - middle and high school students are expected to know their usernames and change their passwords

We used to have the students on a first letter of first name followed by last name syntax, but with the sheer number of students there were lots of duplicates and their accounts were overlapping with staff accounts. It was especially a pain in the neck since we have an onsite Exchange server and provide email to staff. Some of the staff had numbers in their usernames because students had the same ones.

The generic building accounts work at the elementary level, but students still have their own login and home folder if they want to use it.

Thank Post
    I used to cover a load of primary schools in previous life and we used colours for each class account - they then keep this colour through their school life and the leaving one becomes the new intake.

Simple and gets them used to spelling and which colours were which. I think we even set the wallpaper to match help them. Also cuts down on the admin for the IT staff

Thank Post
    Before I took my current position the naming scheme was set as:

Name: Adam Smith
    Username: smitha

Name: Adrian Smith
    Username: smitha1

Name: Anne Smith
    Username: smitha2
    As you can imagine, matching names up to new accounts was a nightmare, they are now set as there initials and there intake number from SIMS, it will always be unique and there wont ever be any duplications,

Name: Adam Smith
    Username: as010000

Name: Adrian Smith
    Username: as010001

Name: Anne Smith
    Username: as010002
    Part of me regrets its but it seems to be working...

Thank Post
    I seem to remember something about its not good practice to have full names in their usernames or emails as they can be identified. Im going to be honest and say that im one of those however its working well with [yearofentry][firstname].[surname]. Sometimes i do wish i had selected a different user name system but some of our students dont know their date of birth, so what chance have i got of them remembering a complicated username.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    It was recommended that you should not be able to name or age a students from the logon name / email address given this was from BECTA I think at the time and was good practice. It isn't that hard to do it tbh I did it at my last place, we went for year of entry, first 2 intiials of first name and first 2 of surname and the admission number from the MIS which worked well and that way staff could always remind students of details easily as they had all the bits of information on registers etc....

Thank Post
    Year of entry + initials + 2 digit number here.

So a year 7 from September gone, named Joe Bloggs would be 12JB01.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread