+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Active Directory Certificate Services / CA in Technical; I have a Windows server 2008 Domain Controller that is running Active Directory Certificate Services. I have two certificates that ...

Thank Post

Active Directory Certificate Services / CA

I have a Windows server 2008 Domain Controller that is running Active Directory Certificate Services.

I have two certificates that I can view by loading the Certificates Snap in. The templates they point to are 'domain controller' & 'Root template'

The certificates expired last month. They are self cert so I cannot renew them.

Active Directory Certificate Services will no longer start (throwing errors 100 & 42) - I presume these things are related.

How can I rebuild these certs and get Active Directory Certificate Services working again? Obviously I don't expect anyone to have a magic wand but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!

**Note** The main use of the certs is to enable a separate TS server to authenticate user log-ons

Thank Post
    I managed to resolve this myself. I set up ADCS & CA on a test server. Once set up I ran MMC and added the Certificates snap in for the computer account. I deleted the Root Cert from Personal/Certificates & restarted the machine - it recreated the root cert.

I tried this on the problem server and it didn't work as ADCS service still wouldn't start, so I went to Server Manager and removed the ADSC role, restarted the machine and then re-added the role. Restarted. Everything fixed!

Luckily my servers are virtual so it was easy to make a snapshot in case things went awry...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread