+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Internet Settings via Group Policy in Technical; I have server 2008 R2, recently ran updates , IE explorer 10 installed. So now Internet Explorer Maintenance does not ...

Thank Post

Internet Settings via Group Policy

I have server 2008 R2, recently ran updates , IE explorer 10 installed. So now Internet Explorer Maintenance does not appear in Group policy user config / windows settings.
    I have windows 7 clients with ie explorer 9 I would like to create a new additional policy for some users using a different Proxy, so how do I now achieve that now IE maintenance has gone ?
    The current Group Policy Objects concerning Proxy settings still seem to work fine.
    I have read that group policy preferences settings are just that ie preferences and can be overwritten, so am not sure to go that route, if anyone can help I'd be very appreciative.

Thank Post
    Use GPP and then use Group Policy to stop them being changed. Your real issue is that GPP have a habit of not quite always applying, just like GPP Printers.

Thank Post
    I think you've misunderstood me.

Thank Post
    We moved from IE maintenance to GPP for Internet Settings. Setup your GPP to point to the correct proxy etc and any other settings as required.

Then use GPO to enforce these settings so they cannot be overridden, if you set a proxy in GPP then use GPO to stopped it being altered then there shouldn't be an issue. If you are trying to use GPP to override IE maintenance policies then that is unlikely to work.

To configure IE10 though, you need to have a Server 2012 server or a Windows 8 computer with RSAT.

We have moved our staff over to GPP and GPOs for all the Internet settings, so it does work.

Thank Post
    I've hit a problem with GP and IE 10 too. I have two new staff laptops, both of which are standalone multiuser. Win 7 and IE 10. I usually set the proxy in local GP so I don't have to do it for each created user. Any ideas what I do now??? I only have server 2003 for a few more months anyway....

Can I use RSAT on a Win 7 machine to edit IE 10?

6. Thanks to Andie from:

Stevecee (30th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Has to be Windows 8 or Server 2012 or get the GPP for IE10 i'm afraid.

You could remove IE10? That is what we initially did while we sorted our Group Policy out.

8. Thanks to Achandler from:

Andie (30th April 2013)

Thank Post
    When I go to GP preferences / control panel settings/ internet setting son my Server 2008 R2 it only has up to IE 8 , all my Windows 7 clients are IE 9

Thank Post
    That is odd, as Windows Server 2008 R2 should be fine managing IE9, though you do need to have put a certain update on it (I can't remember which one).

Have you tried using RSAT on a W& client with IE9 installed, you could then change the IE9 policies while you investigate why your Server 2008 R2 doesn't have the policy there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    Has to be Windows 8 or Server 2012 or get the GPP for IE10 i'm afraid.

You could remove IE10? That is what we initially did while we sorted our Group Policy out.
    I removed the IE 10 update and IE Maintenance has reappeared. Best option for now when I only have the two standalones to deal with. However, went away to do something else and when I came back and shut down it started configuring Windows.... Possibly it's downloaded the pesky update again and I'll have to repeat the removal on Monday!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread