+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Domain Controller DNS issue - No internet for us all.. in Technical; Originally Posted by plexer What happens if you set dns on server to be just 8.8.8.8 and then try to ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    What happens if you set dns on server to be just 8.8.8.8 and then try to ping it?

Default gateway on servers is correct?

DNS forwarders in DNS are set correctly?

Ben
    Thanks for the help guys. I am very grateful.

When I set the servers nic dns to 8.8.8.8 I can ping 8.8.8.8

default gateway is fine. double checked dns forwarders and even swapped with isp second set of dns servers to see if that would make any difference.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    So it's not a DNS issue then.

Tracert to 8.8.8.8 , see where it gets to.

Do it on the other server as well.

Rob
    the laptop bypasses our networks dns server. Any other computer that uses our server has the connectivity problem same as the dns server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Is this all from the server with the .0 ip address or is the other one the same? From the other server remove the .0 one as a dns server and try?

On the .0 server remove all other dns servers apart from the the other dc and try again?

Ben

Thank Post
    so changing the DNS entry on the server to 8.8.8.8 allowed you to ping 8.8.8.8 ? when you could not before?

That's very odd.

Thank Post
    Just so I'm clear, because I'm at a point that I'm questioning everything.
    on the nic of the server, the dns should be the ips of the internet dns servers.. correct? And we use the DNS forwarders as the only location to ass the isp DNS server (or external dns server ips)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    No in a fully functioning ad domain your domain controllers and all pc's should have their dns servers set to be the domain controllers and nothing else.

Working DNS is the cornerstone of Active Directory.

The DNS servers can then use root hints or a dns forwarder to resolve ip addresses for names in the outside world.

Getting you to change them was only as a test of trying to pin down where the issue is.

Ben

Thank Post
    No in a fully functioning ad domain your domain controllers and all pc's should have their dns servers set to be the domain controllers and nothing else.

The DNS servers can then use root hints or a dns forwarder to resolve ip addresses for names in the outside world.

Getting you to change them was only as a test of trying to pin down where the issue is.

Ben
    (I was referring to my own wacky brain, I've been juggling these for 16hrs trying to get our school back up, apparently me shouting at the machine "you're setup correctly work" doesn't work.)

BTW, I did try dropping the .0 and nothing has changed for the good. I'm currently shutting down one of the servers and will play around with everything I can find. It's also the one time that the event logs aren't yelling at me about a glaring issue. Go figure.

Thank Post

Ben
    I agree, this is how it should be configured as long as your DNS services are running on your DC's.
    If DNS is on the DC's then the Primary DNS server listed on the network Adapter should be one of your other DNS/DC server and its own IP its Secondary DNS server

You also have to update your list of root hint servers manually, an up to date list can be found here ftp://ftp.rs.internic.net/domain/db.cache.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12