+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, IE Policies after upgrading Server to IE10 in Technical; I am getting somewhat confused. In group policy, under User Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings, there has always been ...

Thank Post

IE Policies after upgrading Server to IE10

I am getting somewhat confused. In group policy, under User Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings, there has always been "Internet Explorer Maintenance". A great place to administer everything to do with IE. I've upgraded the server to IE 10 and, as far as I can find on Google, that has removed this. Where do I now administer IE 7/8 on my XP clients using GP? When Googling, I either get results on how to do it the old way, or to administer IE10 on W7 or W8 clients. I want to specify PROXY, a couple of Favourites, a homepage and branding.

If I uninstall IE10, will it put "Internet Explorer Maintenance" back?

Thank you

Stuart

Thank Post
    I'm not sure it if will put it back, but to manage IE 10 you have to use GPP.

Perhaps, you might need to redownload your ADMXs for that server to put it back

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Microsoft don't want you to use Internet Explorer Maintenance any more. The alternatives are the IE10 GPOs, Group Policy Preferences or the IEAK.

Have you got the latest ADMX files in your Central Store?
    Last edited by Arthur; 5th April 2013 at 01:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Also make sure to remove any .ins files left in the policy folders in sysvol as these seem to take "preference" over "preferences".

Even if you cannot see Internet explorer maintenance, these files are stiil there.

5. Thanks to box_l from:

3s-gtech (17th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for your responses. I don't want to administer IE10, I want to administer IE7 and 8 on XP. Is the IEAK the way forward then?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    Thanks for your responses. I don't want to administer IE10, I want to administer IE7 and 8 on XP. Is the IEAK the way forward then?
    Oh, we have to use our Backup DC to do this now as it still has the old way of doing it, Or you can add a GPP for IE7 and IE8 and IE10

Thank Post
    I would use preferences for XP.

Just make sure you have the clientside preferences installed on XP

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    I don't want to administer IE10, I want to administer IE7 and 8 on XP.
    Each Group Policy setting states the version(s) of IE it is supported with so you can still administer your XP browsers. e.g.

Microsoft also have a handy spreadsheet containing a list of all of the IE GPOs here (should you need it).

Is the IEAK the way forward then?
    I wouldn't use it myself. As @box_l mentioned above, GPPs sound like the best option.
    Last edited by Arthur; 5th April 2013 at 03:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi GUYS

BEWARE THERE IS A BUG IN IE10 GP PREFERENCES

IE 10 Group Policy Help needed - I think I've found a bug - Spiceworks

Don't touch that 'Advanced' button!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pesmith View Post
    Hi GUYS

BEWARE THERE IS A BUG IN IE10 GP PREFERENCES

IE 10 Group Policy Help needed - I think I've found a bug - Spiceworks

Don't touch that 'Advanced' button!!

I know this post is old but I wanted to let you know that this is the intended behavior of the lan settings tab. Once you enter the advanced portion the IP you set as the proxy is entered in to the individual "server types". You can recreate this in IE on any version of IE as far back as 7 if not earlier as far as I know. If you clear out all the advanced settings your proxy IP should re-appear in JUST the proxy address. This is NOT a bug.

Proxy_advanced.PNG

Thank Post
    I'll stand by what I say... That 'feature' makes it very difficult to use. I'll call it a bug

see others comments on Windows 8 and IE10 not accepting Proxy Settings via Group Policy

Am 10.06.2013 23:16, schrieb LewTech:

> Sven - are you suggesting (and I've got a couple of hours of

> frustration on this myself) that you simply CANNOT change the fields

> that appear after clicking the *Advanced *button?

Yes. It is a known bug in the UI. Start over again ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    At first I thought that by "start-over" we had to create a completely new GPO, however, and maybe this will save someone else some time...it's only a matter of deleting that particular Internet Explorer Preference object...then adding a new one.

Just to be clear. At the present time there is no way to add exceptions in the "Do not use proxy server for...." list? I may still experiment, but if I configure one Preference Object with the proxy ONLY, then add another preference object with the list of Exceptions, is there a chance that they'll successfully merge?

Thanks, PW

Thank Post
    I'll stand by what I say... That 'feature' makes it very difficult to use. I'll call it a bug

see others comments on Windows 8 and IE10 not accepting Proxy Settings via Group Policy (see below)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    At first I thought that by "start-over" we had to create a completely new GPO, however, and maybe this will save someone else some time...it's only a matter of deleting that particular Internet Explorer Preference object...then adding a new one.

Just to be clear. At the present time there is no way to add exceptions in the "Do not use proxy server for...." list? I may still experiment, but if I configure one Preference Object with the proxy ONLY, then add another preference object with the list of Exceptions, is there a chance that they'll successfully merge?

Thanks, PW

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pesmith View Post

see others comments on Windows 8 and IE10 not accepting Proxy Settings via Group Policy (see below)

Thanks, PW
    Not sure why it is so 'difficult to use'. It's not broken. The Proxy IP is still in use. It is just giving you more advanced options to apply your proxy settings.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread