+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Additonal DC install - Backup solution in Technical; Afternoon Gents, My current DC is on Windows 2003. Been preparing for the install of an additional 2008R2 DC over ...

Thank Post

Additonal DC install - Backup solution

Afternoon Gents,

My current DC is on Windows 2003. Been preparing for the install of an additional 2008R2 DC over Easter, to allow me to make use of the newer features within the OS. Will be keeping the 2003DC for the time being, and running both DCs alongside one another.

Having checked out various backup solutions for the new DC (the 2003 box is backed up via Acronis) I came across an article which suggested having a backup solution for a secondary DC is pointless as you cannot restore a DC back into a domain with another DC operating, as the timestamps in the restored AD will cause serious issues. The suggestion being that if you lose one of the DCs, you would simply (or not simply) grab all the roles to the working DC, rebuild the downed DC, then re-add the rebuilt DC back into the domain.

Does this sound like a credible solution to DC backups, or are their industry standard backup solutions that cater for backing up (and restoring) DCs (when you have more than one in your domain)?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    I have one DC with a USB HDD running bare metal backup every night, but have another DC too. The backup is only if both DCs went wrong, or if the domain somehow became irrecoverably damaged. It's like RAID - it gives redundancy, but if your data is lost from the directory, a secondary DC won't help in this case.

3. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Wrighty01 (26th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the input 3s.

My question is more around a backup solution of multiple DCs, as opposed to using a second DC for redundancy (but this is also a consideration). From what you have said I assume you back up only the one DC? So do you even bother backing up your second DC, or do you just rely on the bare metal backup of the first DC?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You will only need to backup 1 DC. If you backup 2 the backups will be identical. The only benefit of backing up both DC's if one of the backup software has a problem, you can fall back on the other.

6. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Wrighty01 (26th March 2013)

Thank Post
    That is what was suggested to me, and sounds pretty sensible. My only other complication - in relation to backups - being my original DC is Server 2003, and the new DC will be 2008R2. But I dont suppose this is an issue if adprep has been run.

Thanks again for the input.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wont be an Issue the AD is the exact same on both servers.

I assume you have a plan to dump the Server 2003 box within the next 12 months or so?

Thank Post
    I would like to, but it also hosts my exchange server atm, which I will need to migrate to another box before I can think about it. I have heard varying reports about the ease - or lack of - transitioning exchange to another server, so it will depend on how confident I am feeling about it before I get rid of the old DC for good.
    Last edited by Wrighty01; 26th March 2013 at 03:48 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread