+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Group Policy Server 2008 R2 - Desktop Wallpaper XP Clients in Technical; Hi and thanks in advance for any assistance with this issue. I am new to Group Policy and am very ...

Thank Post

Question Group Policy Server 2008 R2 - Desktop Wallpaper XP Clients

Hi and thanks in advance for any assistance with this issue. I am new to Group Policy and am very much in the beginners learning group in this respect. I would like to apply a desktop background to a specific Classroom set of XP Pro computers. I have copied the jpg file to the local c:\windows\web\wallpaper folder (I believe using the server UNC path is not a good idea as the image is copied across the network on each logon and increases traffic greatly) and referenced this in the GPO applicable to this OU. However, the wallpaper never appears. I have logged off and restarted numerous times and run gpupdate to no avail. If I try and right click on the desktop and select properties it tells me that restrictions are in place so I cannot do anything. I know I have missed something but don't know what - all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. PS. I have only just joined the school and there are absolutely no network docs so I am working in the dark somewhat - but like the challenge 8-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Off the top of my head: users may not have access to the local folder. Easy as it is to say, Event Viewer will give you clues.

Better way: use BGInfo . Set a background, add some details to be displayed, save as a .bgi file and run bginfo.exe filename.bgi /timer:0 /NOLICPROMPT /SILENT as a logon script.

Thank Post
    Thank you, I am logged in as one of the users and they have access to the folder and can see the jpg no problem. I am unable to get Event Viewer as logged in user has no access to control panel and the access is also blocked from the Run command. I like the idea of bginfo and might explore this, but have I failed at the first hurdle at trying to get to grips with Group Policy.

Thank Post
    have just enabled User Configuration> Administrative Templates> Desktop> Active Desktop> Active Desktop Wallpaper in the group policy and when the user logs in the wallpaper tries to load (appears for a millisecond) and then disappears - very frustrating.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    Thank you, I am logged in as one of the users and they have access to the folder and can see the jpg no problem. I am unable to get Event Viewer as logged in user has no access to control panel and the access is also blocked from the Run command. I like the idea of bginfo and might explore this, but have I failed at the first hurdle at trying to get to grips with Group Policy.
    You don't need to view Event Viewer as the logged in user - either log in as admin and view it, or log into another machine as admin and connect remotely (firewall allowing)

You could also run rsop.msc on that machine (as admin) and view the Resultant Set of Policy, to make sure it is applying, or type gpresult at a command prompt to see if it is listed.

Thank Post
    Set the wallpaper in User config --> Admin templates --> Desktop --> Desktop --> Desktop Wallpaper

Active desktop was removed with IE7 or IE8 I think

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    Set the wallpaper in User config --> Admin templates --> Desktop --> Desktop --> Desktop Wallpaper

Active desktop was removed with IE7 or IE8 I think
    Thank you. I have this part enabled already with the wallpaper referenced on the local c:\ drive of the laptop.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    You don't need to view Event Viewer as the logged in user - either log in as admin and view it, or log into another machine as admin and connect remotely (firewall allowing)

You could also run rsop.msc on that machine (as admin) and view the Resultant Set of Policy, to make sure it is applying, or type gpresult at a command prompt to see if it is listed.
    OK, thank you will do that and see what the results are.

Thank Post
    gpresult shows all the correct group policies applicable but I cannot see anything in rsop.msc that mentions the wallpaper! Event viewer does not show anything relating to the wallpaper, although it does show a load of folder re-direction errors (configured before me I hasten to add).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread