+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, GPP mapped printers reverting back to default preferences in background in Technical; Hi I have a GPP printer deployment in place and printer default preferences are set on each network printer however ...
    Thank Post

GPP mapped printers reverting back to default preferences in background

Hi

I have a GPP printer deployment in place and printer default preferences are set on each network printer however it appears that user changed preferences are reverted back to default in the background after a period of time which for most isn't an issue but for one member of staff it is.

I thought this would be down to the "Group Policy refresh interval for users" setting but this defaults to 90 minutes and in this instance the preferences appear to revert after 40 minutes so can't be affecting this however, am pretty sure this has something to do with background refreshing of policy.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank Post

default printer setup

We solved this problem with Data Synergy's PrintMAN tool. This lets us configure the default printer via GPO per workstation using wildcards for the printer names. We tried both logon scripts and the GPP approach but the results were pretty hit and miss. It was dead simple to setup and I wish we'd found it earlier.
    Last edited by nobleguy; 18th April 2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Isn't it 90 minutes plus or minus x amount of time so that they don't all refresh at the same time though?

I'd still say it's background refresh doing it.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanks nobleguy but I'm not looking to purchase any software just for one computer and a slight inconvenience. GPP works fine other than this one issue.

It's 90 minutes with an offset which is configurable but this is after the 90 minutes not before. I thought the same but on further research found that it was after. I have also tested this setting by reducing the time to 30 mins which either way is a random refresh between 60 - 90 or 90 - 120 mins. Both of these instances wouldn't reset the preferences after 40 minutes.....

This being the case, I can't see it being the background refresh!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    They shouldn't revert back though it's a refresh of the GPP so it should just apply what the current GPP settings are which if you haven't changed them since the user logged on would be the same result.

Ben

Thank Post
    Yes that's what you would think and is why I'm reluctant to blame this process but this is the most likely candidate at the moment. The process appears to be re-applying all default preferences along with normal mappings/settings that usually occurs with a background refresh.
    Last edited by randle; 18th April 2013 at 05:07 PM.

Thank Post
    We use PrintMAN it's a grate tool when you have got 2 network printers being pushed out to a computer you can then set the correct default on a computer level, also if you want the local hardware printer to be set as default over any network printers for a really reasonable price.

Thank Post
    Thanks but as already mentioned, I'm not looking to purchase software that may/may not fix a problem for a single computer. The current GPPs work fine apart from the resetting of printer preferences for this one scenario. You can set local printers to take presedence over network printers via GPP too...

I'm sure there probably are better tools out there but am happy with what I have other than this one unique issue that appears to be caused by a separate process to the mapping GPO anyway.

This looks to be a background refresh issue, not a mapping delivery issue.

Thank Post
    We would love to discuss printing issues on this forum and possible workarounds. In many cases problems can be solved without purchasing a product.

However we have been told by the forum moderators that as a commercial vendor we cannot do this even if we don't (a) recommend our products (b) offer pricing (c) list any company contact details or (d) any sales material.

We believe that this limits discussion as others can comment on our products but we apparently cannot answer questions or offer any views. We are sorry we cannot help more. We hope that you will not censor this post.

Thank Post
    I've just found an additional option within the "Printers Policy Processing" GP setting which may be the answer to my problem in this instance.

"Do not apply during periodic background processing"

I'll report back with my results but sounds promising regardless.

Thank Post
    In GPP use the setting "Apply once and do not reapply"", this'll stop it refresh adding the printers and re-applying the defaults.

Extra Clarity...

I use the above option with "update" as I DID want it to change everyone to the defaults just once. If you didn't want to do that you should use the "Create" this will only add it if it does NOT already exist.
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 17th June 2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: now with extra clarity

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    In GPP use the setting "Apply once and do not reapply"", this'll stop it refresh adding the printers and re-applying the defaults.

Extra Clarity...

I use the above option with "update" as I DID want it to change everyone to the defaults just once. If you didn't want to do that you should use the "Create" this will only add it if it does NOT already exist.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I've already tried the "Apply once..." setting within the GPP but this didn't work as expected and can't quite remember the full reason as was some time ago now, I just know it wasn't suitable in my scenario. I'll probably end up giving it another test should my last change not work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread