+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Random Centrastage problems in Technical; Sorry not sure if this is the right forum. Have a number of schools with CentraStage installed, they each have ...

Thank Post

Random Centrastage problems

Sorry not sure if this is the right forum.

Have a number of schools with CentraStage installed, they each have their own profile. I've always found Centrastage to be quite unreliable. At the moment we are getting seemingly random machines starting up with an error like "Agent has stopped responding" and the centrastage won't be properly connected. We are also seeing computers where the tray icon is missing and when we go and look at the local Centrastage install half the folders are missing (folders that contain vital exes for example) and the agent needs to be reinstalled. We have Sophos deployed across these networks but we are not getting anything in sophos regarding Centrastage. We are getting these same problems across multiple sites, Centrastage support have said they haven't seen the problem with the local folders disappearing before but it could be something to do with AV but as I've said sophos is reporting nothing and the logs have nothing in them to do with centrastage or those locations. This is happening on Server 2008 R2 servers and many W7 64 laptops and desktops. Many other computers seem to be fine.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

Thank Post

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by LazyD View Post
    Sorry not sure if this is the right forum.

Have a number of schools with CentraStage installed, they each have their own profile. I've always found Centrastage to be quite unreliable. At the moment we are getting seemingly random machines starting up with an error like "Agent has stopped responding" and the centrastage won't be properly connected. We are also seeing computers where the tray icon is missing and when we go and look at the local Centrastage install half the folders are missing (folders that contain vital exes for example) and the agent needs to be reinstalled. We have Sophos deployed across these networks but we are not getting anything in sophos regarding Centrastage. We are getting these same problems across multiple sites, Centrastage support have said they haven't seen the problem with the local folders disappearing before but it could be something to do with AV but as I've said sophos is reporting nothing and the logs have nothing in them to do with centrastage or those locations. This is happening on Server 2008 R2 servers and many W7 64 laptops and desktops. Many other computers seem to be fine.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks.
    Hi,

The CentraStage agent will only uninstall itself if if specifically given instruction to do so either via the Webconsole or by running the Uninstall.exe from the c:\Program Files\CentraStage\ folder. In both cases the uninstall routine removes all traces of the application including the aforementioned folder. I guess there could be a chance that the uninstall routine did not complete properly leaving some traces of the application behind but it's unlikely in my experience.
    Is there anything in the event log for the time you received the error? The CentraStage agent is based around two elements CagService.exe - which is the bulk of the agent and gui.exe - which is the task bar icon and agent browser. If the cagservice.exe service is being removed or stopped it would be flagged in Windows Logs\System and/or Windows Logs\ Application in the event viewer. Worth checking in there to see if there are any clues.

I hope this helps

Thank Post
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply and explaination. Certainly no one is uninstalling centrastage, no one would have permissions and definitely no one would have done it from the servers. I'll check the logs, thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread