+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Remote desktop for a primary school. How many virtual machines do I need? in Technical; I have got the very basics in place all remote desktop services / roles are setup and working - yay. ...

Thank Post

Remote desktop for a primary school. How many virtual machines do I need?

I have got the very basics in place all remote desktop services / roles are setup and working - yay.

I have installed a virtual Windows 7 pro in hyper-v and can connect to it - yay.

My question, which is very noobish is, how many virtual Windows 7 machines do I need to install in hyper-v. Can multiple users connect at the same time to the same virtual machine? or do they each need their own separately installed virtual os?

Cheers

Thank Post
    install terminal services and it will create a virtual machine when one is required

Thank Post
    install terminal services and it will create a virtual machine when one is required
    ah I see and will play later.

Do I need separate Windows 7 licences for each users desktop on top of the RD CAL that I have for each user?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless you have a reason for going full VDI it could be easier and cheaper to just use Server 2008 R2 and grab some TS CALs, you need to license each W7 instance and these take up more resources than just another user session on a copy of server. You can get around some of this by using Server 2012 as the host and memory dedupe along with template VHDs but overall easier to just use terminal services on server 2008.

Thank Post
    Sorry but I need some more clarification,

This is a small primary so not many users.

Unless you have a reason for going full VDI it could be easier and cheaper to just use Server 2008 R2 and grab some TS CALs
    What you have just suggested is 100% what I want.

I have this on 2008r2 but might have over complicated the issue. Currently if I rdp remotely to a machine that is already in use it says it will log that user other off, so not what I am after.

What would you suggest I do to set it up the way you have suggested. Could you just outline what should be done. pm me if you prefer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much you just need an install of Server 2008r2 with the terminal services role installed, you don't need hyper-v at all. The wizards should talk you through most of it and I think you get a 30 day trial before you have to add CALs.

Once you have this setup the users just remote into the server and each session is separated out, ie multiple people can log in to it at once and not kick others off. If the rest of school is Windows 7 with appropriate profiles and GPOs when they log on most things should be just as they would be on a normal station. Just install the programs you need them to have access to and grab some CALs from an MS supplier and you should be good.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop (RD) Services - Techotopia
    How To Set Up and Use Remote Desktop Services (RDS) for Applications on Server 2008 R2 - YouTube

You also get other cool things like remote desktop gateway which is great for sharing it online. Remote app can also allow you to just offer up a single application for stations especially handy if they are problematic apps that you would

TS Gateway Step-by-Step Guide

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

edutech4schools (6th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Looks like I have gone overkill, Currently I have remote desktop services role installed with remote app manager, RD Gateway Manager, RD Session host, remote desktop services manager, and IIS. I also added the hyper-v role and installed windows 7 as a virtual machine.

Think I might wipe it all and start over.

Thank Post
    not exhaustive but should give you the idea

vdi (virtual desktop infrastructure) 1 vm per person (or at least concurrent person) its effectively like giving everyone their own pc just they run on the server using the servers cpu/ram and you rdp into it from a n other device be it another pc ypad/android etc.

Plus points
    its a full win7 (or whatever os you choose pc) and at least with server 2012 you can set them so once logged off for x ammount of time they revert to their standard state and you can apply updates to them all by remaking from the base image (so say you go from office 2010 to 2013 update your base image and it can be set to replace the used ones with that image) removes the need to msi packages out etc.user data is stored separate from the pc so no redirection is needed. Full workstation os so software compatability shouldnt be much of an issue. Redundancy if 1 vhd gets borked just replace it in mins.

negative points
    licensing each vm needs a license (not sure if ees will cover this or not). For more than a few requires a server with lots of ram and processing power (disc space not so much with 2012 as you can have 20 vhd files and the server will only store the differences so its not 20*20gb its more like 1*20gb+4gb.

terminal server/remore desktop server

plus points
    1 os for everyone so install say office 2013 once and its done. As its one os needs less ram/cpu/hdd as users are just connecting to sessions not a full pc. one server lic and x remote cals

negative points

its a server os so some software may not work and some software wont anyway. Audio/video playback is likely to be less good. server looks slightly different to workstation so some users may be confused. If that pc goes belly up tough (granted if your vdi host(s) do its the same )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Looks like I have gone overkill, Currently I have remote desktop services role installed with remote app manager, RD Gateway Manager, RD Session host, remote desktop services manager, and IIS. I also added the hyper-v role and installed windows 7 as a virtual machine.

Think I might wipe it all and start over.
    a lot of that is only needed if you want apps via a browser (iis) or external access (RD Gateway Manager)

and hyper v isnt needed period

Thank Post
    I'd start out with a single server and set up remote desktop services.

The licencing for RDS has a 120 day (I think that’s still current) grace period, which is plenty of time for you to find the right number of users for the school in question. The other consideration is what applications you need to run for the remote system. Personally I'd stick with the basics to start with (office, Internal web services etc.).

What’s the spec of the server your using? Is it Physical or virtual?

All in all, once the server is up and running, getting RDS working for some users shouldn’t take that long. Getting the licencing balance right will take a lot longer. It could be the case that this is already covered in your LEA/School Agreement…. But then again it might not.

Thank Post
    Failed at the first part.
    Followed this Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop (RD) Services - Techotopia
    I installed remote desktop session host
    then to test you should connect from a client using remote desktop client but I get a cert error,

'your remote desktop session failed because the remote computer cannot be authenticated'

cert error = 'A revocation check could not be performed for the certificate'

'You may not proceed....'

Odd thing is I can connect to an IIS ssl website on the same server and the cert gets authenticated.

Thank Post
    Just rdp to another server ok, so going to start over.

Thank Post
    I did a full re-install of the server OS and that has fixed my first issue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just a couple of thoughts on this.

VDI is covered by MDOP which is an extension to Software Assurance. EES is probably the cheapest way of licensing. (You can buy EES+MDOP). You can host the VMs on any hypervisor including ESXi and the free version of Hyper-V.

For best performance with VDI you'd probably want to use thin clients with RemoteFX support.

That said, Terminal Server is probably what the OP wants.

Thank Post
    Plodding on with this. I am currently at the certificate import section following this - Configuring the TS Gateway Core Scenario

Question = which of the 3 certs I have from my cert company do I import at his stage, is it,
    vpn.domain.area.sch.uk
    ipsCAglobal
    ipsCALEVEL1ca

• To Install a certificate on the TS Gateway server
      Open the Certificates snap-in console. If you have not already added the Certificates snap-in console, you can do so by doing the following:

• Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.
      • On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
      • In the Add or Remove Snap-ins dialog box, in the Available snap-ins list, click Certificates, and then click Add.
      • In the Certificates snap-in dialog box, click Computer account, and then click Next.
      • In the Select Computer dialog box, click Local computer: (the computer this console is running on), and then click Finish.
      • In the Add or Remove snap-ins dialog box, click OK.

• In the Certificates snap-in console, in the console tree, expand Certificates (Local Computer), and then click Personal.
    • Right-click the Personal folder, point to All Tasks, and then click Import.
    • On the Welcome to the Certificate Import Wizard page, click Next.
    • On the File to Import page, in the File name box, specify the name of the certificate that you want to import, and then click Next.
    • On the Password page, do the following:

• If you specified a password for the private key associated with the certificate earlier, type the password.
      • If you want to mark the private key for the certificate as exportable, ensure that Mark this key as exportable is selected.
      • If you want to include all extended properties for the certificate, ensure that Include all extended properties is selected.
      • Click Next.

• On the Certificate Store page, accept the default option, and then click Next.
    • On the Completing the Certificate Import Wizard page, confirm that the correct certificate has been selected.
    • Click Finish.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast