+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Remote desktop for a primary school. How many virtual machines do I need? in Technical; YAY - got it working. Just tested by connecting from home as 2 different users, from 2 computers and all ...

Thank Post
    YAY - got it working. Just tested by connecting from home as 2 different users, from 2 computers and all worked.

Currently only set up using the default settings from the links in this forum, so will need to look at locking it down a bit more.

Thanks to SYNACK for the initial links and sted for simple plain info. Also thanks to the rest of posters.

Thank Post
    no problem. the only one i have uses a self signed cert as ive never looked into real ones (and a hacked hosts file) but thats partially due to ad domain being a .local and external being no domain lol. in my slight defence it was a test setup that just went live one day i will look intona domain dame and certs i assume it requires an alias to translate schhol.local to school.ac.uk or whatever and might make initial ssl less slow lol

Thank Post
    I got hold of a free ssl cert for the school. I also did not need to do any host files hacks or changes, it worked from home using computer.domain.lan.
    Going to look at locking it down to only domain computers etc. Might also put the rdp file on an encrypted memory stick. Also going to look at radius lockdown.

Very happy I got this far. Thanks

Thank Post
    Now that RDS + gateway are working and users can access the 2008r2 sever as a desktop I am trying to get my head round some of the basics.

Installing Software, lets say Office 2010 and Sims.

Do I install them on the actual server as a normal install and then are they available for any user that might RDP to that server using RDS gateway?

Do they need to be installed as an app, which reading the MS info seems to add an icon to the desktop?

Or do I install then logged on as each user?

I have not tried any of the above as it will save me lots of time just to ask.

Cheers

Thank Post
    there is an icon in control panel "install application on terminal server" (at least on 08r1) that you use for installing (so run that and point it at the installer file rather than run the installer direct) but other than that just install once as per normal

Thank Post
    I been looking at some stuff about VDI on Friday and this morning. From what I see online, MS have made it really easy to go with VDI using Server 2012. One thing i dont get tho (prob coz i have never looked into VDI before and it's all new to me), is you still need a client PC with OS installed to connect to the VD - so what's the point of it?
    Why not just have the client set up as 'per normal' and a lot less strain on the server? Or am i totally misunderstanding it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @detjo, It's partly a question of where the processing power is. It's arguably cheaper buying huge amounts of processor power on the server than it is buying 30xhuge amounts of processing power on the desktop. Therefor you only need a £100-£200 thin client, possibly running a non MS OS, on the desktop vs. £300-£500(+) desktops running with Windows licensing.

The other this with both VDI's and (more so) Terminal Server, is from a tech support point of view it's much easier to manage from a central location. Things like software installs can become easier especially those that might have meant visiting each machine individually in the past.

Thank Post
    hmm .. I see. Thanks, tmcd35 that makes sense.
    So actually, this could also be used for running a VDI session on iPad (as it's running thru a browser) ?

There is great enthusiasm about getting iPads here at the moment but SMT main questions are: accessing/saving to MyDocs and printing. So VDI might be a solution?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, but...

I'm yet to find any RDP client on iOS that I'm completely happy with. That and Windows really wasn't designed with a touchscreen experience in mind (and no Win8 hasn't altered my opinion on that). Technically do-able, but the question becomes why? and may lead to (can't believe it's me say this) is the iPad the right device?

Edit: Look at WebDAV to access "my docs" on an iOS device. Better solution than remote desktops.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You'd want a rdp client on the ipad that supports passthrough multitouch and gestures for W8, I don't think one exists yet.

Thank Post
    I am looking at licencing and trying to find the simplest method of doing this. I have purchased some Remote Desktop Services CALs from a our LA and thought the key would be similar to a windows key ie, xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx but the license I have been given is xxxxxxx is that correct before I proceed?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Last time I had to activate a terminal server I had to put in my Microsoft customer agreement number (actually it was the LEA's customer agreement number at the time) and then declare the number of licenses I'd purchased. You can usually find it on any Volume License Invoice. From memory it is a short number in the form xxxxxxx.

Thank Post
    I am following this,

Configuring a Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services License Server - Techotopia

Which seems to suggest I need the long number.

Do you have any other info I can follow, the MS site is overly complicated.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Follow the instructions on that site. On the "Activate Server Wizard" screenshot you should see a pull down for "licence Program". In the example it is showing "Licence Pack (Retail Purchase)". Change this to Volume Licensing and it will ask for your Agreement Number.

Thank Post
    Volume Licensing is not listed I have listed,

Licence Pack (retail)
    Open Licence
    Select Licence
    Enterprise Agreement
    Campus Agreement
    School Agreement
    Service Provider Licence Agreement
    Other Agreement

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread