+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Backup & Email solution for a Primary in Technical; Hi all, I have recently taken over work at a large primary school. where their web/mail servers are been hosted ...

Thank Post

Backup & Email solution for a Primary

Hi all,

I have recently taken over work at a large primary school. where their web/mail servers are been hosted by a third party. the school domain has been setup as(Ex-) demo.com
    their webmail use the same domain name. when I try to setup outlook for the admin staff, they are unable to send mails to others in the same domain(Ex - abc@demo.com) unless they use the webmail.

My first question is whether anyone can tell me what the problem is and if so how to rectify this issue.
    Secondly I'm hoping to setup a backup solution/disaster recovery, as there isn't anything in place. I'm thinking of purchasing a NAS( QNAP) and use DPM to backup both physical(2008R2/2003R2)) and virtual(Hyper-V) servers daily to the NAS. I intend to weekly backup the NAS to USB HDD to taken off site.

Can anyone share their experience/ideas about this setup.
    all your comments and ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks all in advanced.

Dave

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I assume that you are connecting outlook or similar application to the External Hosted Mail Services? Are you saying that you are unable to send email to internal recipients within the same Organization from the client but you are able to do this using Web Based Client? (what email service is it? Exchange?)

I don't see anything wrong with you doing that kind of backup solution (Backup to Disk) being on the NAS. How much data are we talking about?

Is the Hyper-V Environment setup as HA?

Going forward, depending on what kind of hosted environment you have for email at present I would consider moving the school to Office 365 to look after your Email Requirements.

Thanks,
    James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 31st January 2013 at 12:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    I assume that you are connecting outlook or similar application to the External Hosted Mail Services? Are you saying that you are unable to send email to internal recipients within the same Organization from the client but you are able to do this using Web Based Client? (what email service is it? Exchange?)

I don't see anything wrong with you doing that kind of backup solution (Backup to Disk) being on the NAS. How much data are we talking about?

Is the Hyper-V Environment setup as HA?

Going forward, depending on what kind of hosted environment you have for email at present I would consider moving the school to Office 365 to look after your Email Requirements.

Thanks,
    James.
    Hi James,

yes I did setup Ms outlook to the ext. mail server, they use exchange . My Hyper-V is setup as HA. Do you know any better way of doing this?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boolyn View Post
    Hi James,

yes I did setup Ms outlook to the ext. mail server, they use exchange . My Hyper-V is setup as HA. Do you know any better way of doing this?

Thanks
    If you are saying that you are unable to send mail to people within the same domain namespace, can you post up one of the NDR's so that I can see what is going on and the reason for it failing...

Better way of backing up Hyper-V? DPM is a supported and good way of backup your Hyper-V Cluster without a doubt it of course works great! for alternatives i would recommend Veeam Veeam: #1 VMware Backup, Hyper-V Backup and Virtualization Management

Cheers,
    James.

Thank Post
    My problem is ,I don't get any non-delivery reports. btw can I use veeam to backup physical servers ? and NAZ to USB>HDD ???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boolyn View Post
    My problem is ,I don't get any non-delivery reports. btw can I use veeam to backup physical servers ? and NAZ to USB>HDD ???
    Oh right, Do you have any kind of access to the ECP to maybe look at queue's? I am assuming you get external mail okay?

I don't believe Veeam will backup your physical servers.

Cheers,
    James.

Thank Post
    Yes, we get external mail without anyproblem. It's only to do with internal recipients within the same Organization. And i don't have any access to the ECP either :-(

Thanks
    Dave

Thank Post
    does the message go to the sent items?
    Do you kniw whT version of exch? maybe check the headers via owa....

Does outlook show as connected to exch? Can u see free/bust for other users?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    does the message go to the sent items?
    Do you kniw whT version of exch? maybe check the headers via owa....

Does outlook show as connected to exch? Can u see free/bust for other users?
    They used a Programme called" Postfix " as the mail server. we are using our ISP's SMTP servers. yes the message go to the sent items but never reach the recipients

Thank Post
    There's nothing you can do from the Outlook, if the message has been sent then it's a server side issue, if you don't have access to the server then you can't do much troubleshooting. It's down to the owner of postfix to look at the logs, there's many reason why it may not get delieverd, we will be just guessing...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread