+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Really doing my head in - RDweb remote desktop install. in Technical; Hi, I have been trying to get a remote desktop to work via remote desktop services (RDweb) for weeks. Each ...

Thank Post

Really doing my head in - RDweb remote desktop install.

Hi, I have been trying to get a remote desktop to work via remote desktop services (RDweb) for weeks. Each time I follow a different set of instructions I get to the same point and it errors.

Internally everything works fine, I can browse to https:vpn.school.area.sch.uk/rdweb, log in, click the 'remote desktop' tab, enter 'Windows7' which is the name of the virtual pc I need remote access to click 'connect' and bingo all works.

Externally I get all the way through the above steps but instead of connecting to the Windows 7 client I get the following error,

remote desktop can't find the computer name 'Windows7' this might mean that 'Windows7' does not belong to the specified network
    I am really stuck, so any advice before I go mad.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Do you have a firewall managed by your LA? You may/may not need them to make exceptions for it to work properly.

Thank Post
    Do you have a firewall managed by your LA? You may/may not need them to make exceptions for it to work properly.
    I thought the point of rdweb apps / desktop was it uses ssl port 443 from external to internal and any other ports like rdp are handled internally by IIS and mapped out to 443.

Yes firewall is managed by LA but I do have port 443 forwarded.
    Last edited by edutech4schools; 29th January 2013 at 11:48 AM.

Thank Post
    I think you need rds gateway to be able to tunnel to an internal pc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    I think you need rds gateway to be able to tunnel to an internal pc.
    You need an RDS Gateway to use Remote Desktop Services externally period. Remote Apps and Remote Desktop sessions accessed through the RDS Web Access service connect through SSL on 443 to the gateway server. The web access server does absolutely nothing except display the web page interface.

You can use a gateway server to access remote desktop sessions externally just by entering the correct details into the RDP client, you dont even need the web access interface, although its user friendly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 793 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hijacking the thread a little, on this note is it possible to set this up so you can't connect via a normal RDP client without the RDP port? Not entirely happy with having RDP open.

Thank Post
    ou can use a gateway server to access remote desktop sessions externally just by entering the correct details into the RDP client, you dont even need the web access interface, although its user friendly.
    I did manage to connect using the above method, So why the error when doing it through the web page.

Thank Post
    Decided to remove web access interface and just use rdp session to connect to the rds gateway.

How would I go about removing the ssl cert error when connecting to the windows7 machine via rdp. It says the windows7.domain.lan cert is not trusted. I recently got a new cert for the school using vpn.school.area.sch.uk, can I use this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Hijacking the thread a little, on this note is it possible to set this up so you can't connect via a normal RDP client without the RDP port? Not entirely happy with having RDP open.
    Yes, you use the Remote Desktop Services Gateway role to wrap the RDP traffic in an ssl tunnel.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Decided to remove web access interface and just use rdp session to connect to the rds gateway.

How would I go about removing the ssl cert error when connecting to the windows7 machine via rdp. It says the windows7.domain.lan cert is not trusted. I recently got a new cert for the school using vpn.school.area.sch.uk, can I use this?
    Well you can only use it if that is the external DNS name of your gateway or the certificate has additional SANs which cover the gateway's dns name.

Thank Post
    Well you can only use it if that is the external DNS name of your gateway or the certificate has additional SANs which cover the gateway's dns name.
    No SANs

If I do a whois the domain = school.area.sch.uk

To access server from web = vpn.school.area.sch.uk (I assume this is the external DNS)

vpn.school.area.sch.uk is the SSL cert I got.

How do I use this cert in my windows7 rdp connection?

Thank Post
    i found alot of information out regarding RemoteApps etc, and I posted it here:
    Windows 2008 R2 Remote Apps / Access (See Post #5)

As mentioned, a Remote Gateway is required, and we are going to be using a Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate (got a good Educational price for a 5 year certificate from GoDaddy).
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 29th January 2013 at 02:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Yep - you need RDP Gateway install to do it, clients connect via 443 to teh gateway which then proxies there request to the host server on port 3389.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread