+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Suggested training courses in Technical; We may have wangled some training budget. Could the panel suggest some suitable training courses for 2 technicians who have ...

Thank Post

Suggested training courses

We may have wangled some training budget. Could the panel suggest some suitable training courses for 2 technicians who have lots of experience in looking after a 2003/XP network but need to formalise our learning about 2008r2/win7 with a view to a smooth migration.

We are both going to try and wangle a CCNA course, but which windows courses?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Could be worth looking at NEOS IT. They do some 2008 r2 & Windows 7 courses.

3. Thanks to Ashm from:

Leeoakley (24th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Just set up a test lab, learn while doing

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsonga View Post
    Just set up a test lab, learn while doing
    Unfortuantely we don't have the time to do this. we need to set up a new domain and win7/2008 boxes and get it right first time. Also, from our CPD point of view training is hard to come by, we need to make the most of it.

Thank Post
    This link is to the Leeds Networking Academy so is probably of no use in terms of booking a course, but it does tell you the official Microsoft Course codes for learning both Windows 7 and Server 2008:

Microsoft Certification Networking Courses Network Academy Leeds

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Unfortuantely we don't have the time to do this. we need to set up a new domain and win7/2008 boxes and get it right first time. Also, from our CPD point of view training is hard to come by, we need to make the most of it.
    Warning: I'm adamant, and possibly wrong. Judge the following in context of what others say.

There simply isn't a quick-win training course for XP-7 migrations. It is far far too big a jump for that to be possible. Within the team it is invaluable to have the full depth of knowledge the MCSE brings (though not necessary for one person to hold the MCSE - just make sure as a team you've got that depth). It is a lot of work, and thus a lot of money to do it. You don't say what budget you have, but you do indicate that a DIY timescale is not enough. To which I'm afraid I say... you need more time that you realise.

Look at how long it would take to get through the MCSE. This is basically the minimum number of hours it takes to cover the topics needed to set up a windows domain on secondary school (and upwards obviously) scale. If you're 'just' a Primary, or a small (<50 employee) business with outsourced web presence, then maybe the MCSA level investment would be appropriate.

It is a lot of work to develop these competencies.

Buy the Windows 7 Resource Kit, the 2008 Resource kit, and Windows Internals 6th Edition Volume 1 and 2.

Book off a few (five?) weeks. Work through them, making notes and building test labs etc. Spend some quality time with Technet. Perhaps use the budget you have to get a i7 laptop with a huge amount of ram for your testing VMs.

Advice from the field: I note you say 'new domain'. This is good. Build it new - Window 7 has a completely altered Profile/Offline Files/Documents arrangement. Don't try to make it work like XP... go with the flow. Just re-install your LoB apps into the new environment, and migrate the data across.

The best a short course can give you is a superficial overview - to break the ice. If you are really really lucky and the trainer is also a competent sysadmin, you might get some advice too, but nothing beats building systems and testing your own ideas, concentrating on the elements that are important for your employers' infrastructure.
    Last edited by psydii; 22nd January 2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammar

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post

I would suggest you purchase a copy of Vmware workstation 9. Load this onto an well speced laptop or workstation and you can set-up a 2008 network for testing and running through the set-up of said servers in addition to any courses you may take.

It's what I use and it makes life so much easier for testing scenarios etc...

Thank Post
    Going from personal experience, its best to mix up training courses with plenty of self study time.

The last time I attended a Microsoft training course was for Windows 2000 server (yes that long ago!!) and to be perfectly honest, wasn't that impressed. Things may have changed nowadays? Any Microsft stuff I've done since has basically involved me buying the Microsoft Press book for the relevant exam number and then working through it. A good virtual machine system is pretty much essential, don't be afraid to use some of the free options out there - VirtualBox used to see me just fine! You can also download and install the OS's on a free trial basis. Its easy enough to reinstall them once time expires.

An hour or two each day, maybe a bit more on a weekend should get you through the books, it all depends on what kind of learner you are. Currently I am doing the CCNA course, coupled with some home practice using the 'Packet Tracer' software that Cisco supply to their students. The course is great and well worth looking into.

Thank Post
    Whatever you decide I would recommend using the cbt nuggets CBT IT Training Videos Online, Certification and Education | CBT Nuggets to backup/reinforce want you have learnt.
    I was also recommend setting up a test lab you can practice, as there is no better way to learn but by doing it.
    Cheers

Gareth

Thank Post
    I'm in the middle of doing the Windows Server 2012 MCSA courses, 90%-95% of the material applies to Windows 2008 R2 as well - you may be better going for 2012 and future proofing yourself!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cscott View Post
    I'm in the middle of doing the Windows Server 2012 MCSA courses, 90%-95% of the material applies to Windows 2008 R2 as well - you may be better going for 2012 and future proofing yourself!
    Out of interest, are the 2012 courses any good? I haven't done the server 2008 ones and was wondering if the newer courses assume you have knowledge of 2008 or are they for the uninitiated?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    Out of interest, are the 2012 courses any good? I haven't done the server 2008 ones and was wondering if the newer courses assume you have knowledge of 2008 or are they for the uninitiated?
    They start from the basics (i.e. installing WIndows Server), if i recall correctly they recommend experience of Windows Server (any version above NT) before doing the course but that's about it.

14. Thanks to cscott from:

themightymrp (23rd January 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread