Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Home folders going missing in Technical; I've had 2 students come up to me today both with missing home folders. They appear to have been removed/deleted ...
    Gaz

Thank Post

Home folders going missing

I've had 2 students come up to me today both with missing home folders. They appear to have been removed/deleted from the home folder directory.
    To get them back I am manually creating the folder again and restoring it from a shadow copy, but the shadow copy only lets me restore files from before Christmas. Anything newer than that (2013) and it says its missing.

This is getting rather worrying now. Looking at my other server there are 534 home folders and on this server (2008 r2) there are 478 thats an inconsistancy of 56 folders that may be missing.

I've disabled folder redirection as that was causing some issues but I've no idea whats gone on here. The event logs don't have any errors relating to this issue.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Anyone? I've had a few more students with missing folders. I've no idea why its happening and don't think anything has been breached and theres no virus's on the server that I know of (full scan run)

Thank Post
    Well only thing that springs to mind is "broken" redirection, remember a few other threads on here about people redirecting to \server\docs etc, rather than \server\docs\%username% and they were overwriting too.

Any more info on your redirections etc?

Steve

Gaz

Thank Post
    Redirection is now off but it was (my docs etc) redirected to \\Server\students\%username%

Thank Post
    i saw this with one profile (nursery user so nobody complained i just found it by accident). They had a mandatory profile which had been edited to point my docs etc at u:\, u:\pictures etc AND had redirection set thought i was going mad at first created folder logged in no home folder rdp to server home folder deleted recreated went again no profile fine, roaming profile fine, mandatory home golder gone

Gaz

Thank Post
    I'm not using roaming or mandatory profiles, they are all local profiles. (I'll be moving to roaming over the summer)

It certainly sounds like folder redirection has messed something up. My plan is to just recreate the folders as the users approach me and restore from shadow copies.
    Without knowing what exactly went wrong with the redirection though its hard to know what I've got to do so it doesn't happen again should I want to use folder redirection.

Thank Post
    Had something similar recently too - after testing a new file server by pointing home folder to new server then put it back to old server - some of our older AD accounts didn't seem to like this and the docs would be deleted and also the user's permissions would be removed when they logged in - I implemented the fix here Can PowerShell restore previous versions of files/folders via Volume Shadow Services (VSS)?. I set the group policy setting right at the bottom of that page and it seems to have fixed it for me, although I've had to copy stuff back from shadow copies and fix permissions for about 10 pupils who logged on before I applied that fix... might not be the same problem but might help...

Gaz

Thank Post
    Hmm you may be onto something Netman. I did recently change the homefolder path from \\domain\students\ to \\server.domain.local\students\ I didn't think that would make a difference to anything though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Hmm you may be onto something Netman. I did recently change the homefolder path from \\domain\students\ to \\server.domain.local\students\ I didn't think that would make a difference to anything though.
    If you use short name AND fqdn with folder redirection and have move enabled, windows doesn't recognise the paths as being the same and "moves" them (as in deletes them all!)

Edit: ah yes, netmans thread has the GPO option to fix it it mentioned.
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 15th January 2013 at 06:07 PM.

Thank Post
    I'd also consider moving the users documents to "\\server\share\%username%\documents" or something.
    Win7 Likes to rename the documents folder "My documents" and it's pain when you go to \\server\share\ and see 400 odd "My Documents" folders with no idea who they belong to.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    I'd also consider moving the users documents to "\\server\share\%username%\documents" or something.
    Win7 Likes to rename the documents folder "My documents" and it's pain when you go to \\server\share\ and see 400 odd "My Documents" folders with no idea who they belong to.
    I've disabled it now. Theres no real reason for my docs to be redirected on my network so they can just store stuff in their home folder.
    Yeah I experienced the "My Documents" folder thing too, you can find out who it belongs too if you add the "Filename" column but that only works on Server 2008 R2 (and maybe non R2) deleting desktop.ini inside the folder will change it back again.
    Last edited by Gaz; 16th January 2013 at 04:15 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread