+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, DHCP server IPV6 settings in Technical; When setting up DHCP server in 2008r2 what settings do you choose for the IPV6 page. It has things like ...

Thank Post

DHCP server IPV6 settings

When setting up DHCP server in 2008r2 what settings do you choose for the IPV6 page. It has things like stateless etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    When setting up DHCP server in 2008r2 what settings do you choose for the IPV6 page. It has things like stateless etc.
    Do you actually want to use stateless is the first question?

IPv6 can be done with or without DHCP "offerings".

Stateful = as IPv4. Client goes "gimme IP mr DHCP"

Stateless = Clients autoconfigure their own IPs based upon what other clients are broadcasting. And only use the "DHCP" server for things like DNS.

At least that's how I understand it

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanks.

Another question, If I wanted to manually enter an IP6 address in to a client how would I know what to put. With IP4 it was domain ip + client number.

Thank Post
    Thanks.

Another question, If I wanted to manually enter an IP6 address in to a client how would I know what to put. With IP4 it was domain ip + client number.
    How'd you mean? Like client 4 would be 10.10.10.4? As an example? And you want to do same with IPv6?

Steve

Thank Post
    How'd you mean? Like client 4 would be 10.10.10.4? As an example? And you want to do same with IPv6?
    Yes. In fact I have just checked the network adapter on our server and it is disabled. If I enable it, what should I type for IPV6 Address and Subnet prefix length.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts
    I'd suggest you disable IPv6 and stick with IPv4 for now. You should also disable it in DHCP Server to avoid any problems.

In theory you could have a network where it dishes out IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, but I wouldn't recommend it!

You shouldn't disable IPv6 on the NIC of a server. It creates more problems than it's worth.

Thank Post
    Sorry, bit confused.

First you say
    I'd suggest you disable IPv6 and stick with IPv4 for now.
    but then you say
    You shouldn't disable IPv6 on the NIC of a server.

Thank Post
    I'll explain it a bit better!

You should disable IPv6 on DHCP Server.

You shouldn't disable IPv6 on your server NIC. Why? Well even though it's not used or allocated an IP, Microsoft have essentially hard coded various components of Windows Server which rely on IPv6 being enabled, but not necessarily in use.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you want to embark in setting up DHCPv6 then you might want to familiarise yourself with basic IPv6 networking first.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You shouldn't disable IPv6 on your server NIC. Why? Well even though it's not used or allocated an IP, Microsoft have essentially hard coded various components of Windows Server which rely on IPv6 being enabled, but not necessarily in use.
    Not strictly true... How to disable IP version 6 or its specific components in Windows

If your networking equipment doesn't know about IPv6, bad stuff can happen too. Whilst we could support IPv6 within our sites, our MPLS provider's network doesn't fully support it at this time. If a machine ends up defaulting to IPv6 for something... all kinds of havoc ensues.

You can also use GPP to push the registry key out that is mentioned in the KB above.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you still have kit kicking around that doesn't know what IPv6 is or worse misbehaves if it sees some then you should patch the software/firmware or replace it. IPv6 has been an IETF standard since 1998 and widely deployed since 2008 after all. But of course I'm sure everyone refreshes their hardware/software regularly enough for this not to be an issue?

Also if you try and disable IPv6 on Win8 the whole networking stack stops working (unticking it in the network adapter settings does nothing. Using the Win7 reghack breaks the whole IP stack).
    Last edited by Geoff; 8th January 2013 at 09:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Not strictly true... How to disable IP version 6 or its specific components in Windows

If your networking equipment doesn't know about IPv6, bad stuff can happen too. Whilst we could support IPv6 within our sites, our MPLS provider's network doesn't fully support it at this time. If a machine ends up defaulting to IPv6 for something... all kinds of havoc ensues.

You can also use GPP to push the registry key out that is mentioned in the KB above.
    You have to agree though that this is the configuration by default. It's also going to require a lot of effort to completely disable IPv6 too (looking at your link), which doesn't make sense considering we'll all be using it in a matter of time!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Also if you try and disable IPv6 on Win8 the whole networking stack stops working (unticking it in the network adapter settings does nothing. Using the Win7 reghack breaks the whole IP stack).
    That's good to know... but I suppose it does no harm being enabled by default, as it is in 2008 R2 and Win 7 too.

IPv6 was available (sort of) since Windows 2000, but XP has it and it's disabled by default.

Thank Post
    ok I have just enabled ipv6 in the adapter settings on a single server network, what should I type for IPV6 Address and Subnet prefix length?

NB. this server is only dishing out ipv4 (dhcp) to the network clients.

Thank Post
    ok I have just enabled ipv6 in the adapter settings on a single server network, what should I type for IPV6 Address and Subnet prefix length?

NB. this server is only dishing out ipv4 (dhcp) to the network clients.
    If it's dishing out IPv4 addresses and you have enough free (check in DHCP Server), then you don't need IPv6. Just enable it and leave the IP config blank.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast