+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Backup for Primary schools in Technical; so I have recently taken a position as the IT Technician in a Primary School and on first impression after ...

Thank Post

Backup for Primary schools

so I have recently taken a position as the IT Technician in a Primary School and on first impression after spending a day getting information off the previous guy I thought I was ok (sigh) how wrong I was.

So on my first day I find I have no details and after 3 painstaking hours i finally get on. 2 weeks on I find that there is no documentation of any kind, they have an antivirus subscription they aren’t using (in fact they have no antivirus on machines at all) that there is no asset register, no backups of any kind, that’s the teachers laptops and desktops are more powerful than the DC and BDC, that there are 3 accounts for teachers when there are 40+ teachers. They have a 100MB LAN and are trying to push applications out via GP; they have 7 APs with no controller all with different SSIDs.

The Shares are off a 2TB drive where everything is stored.

I have just been given 3 Sunfire X2200 M2, 500GB store in each and 2 of them have 8GB RAM and the other has 12GB so at least I have something to work with.

They have a 26 Ipads that I am going to use Meraki to manage (if I can get my 3rd Party to open some ports) around 100-150 netbooks, around 60-100 laptops including teachers laptops, around 20-40 desktops.

Rant over!

So what I need is a backup solution for a primary school, this has also has to encompass disaster recovery

I must admit I’ve never setup a backup solution before, so i dont know what would be best, ive looked at cloud backup but i got a quote for 750 per year for 300GB of space and im going to need more than that just for the data and for backup of the system state, also this would have a high impact on the speed of the internet if i needed to get a large amount of data off.

Any help welcome!

Thanks!

uffy2000
    Last edited by uffy2000; 13th December 2012 at 09:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Woah, that sounds like quite a project you have on your hands!

Backup-exec or DPM

I find Backup-exec easier, but I have had some issues backing up VM's in a cluster...not sure if your school will be that advanced. That is the only thing that has fueled my move to DPM.

Thank Post
    backup assist and a old server with lots of disks running freeNas.

4. Thanks to jamin100 from:

uffy2000 (13th December 2012)

Thank Post
    hi
    i have recently just got a job at a primary school and i have had some of the same problems except the backup we currently use Online Backup Service for Business
    but i am thinking of moving to my own servers and manage my own backups as i run webhosting aswell if you wish to manage your own backup then i could offer you a solution that would be realy good to your school

Thank Post
    Personally you could go for a Tape Solution or a NAS. Personally i use a NAS in all of my primary schools. You can get some good NAS for like 250 pound these days and there are more popular then the tape Solution.

Thank Post
    Or a Microserver populated with drives. That should be cheap enough and give you some flexibility

Thank Post
    Yeah lot to do, whats more frustrating is that im not getting time to sort these out. im getting told to focus on resolving the issues with IPads because they paid a lot of money with them and they arent getting used.

they are all physical hosts, no virtualisation (yet) but maybe in the future.

im new to the backup scene, i know that backup exec is a solution from symantec but unsure exactly what i need physcially to do this. i havent heard of Backup assist or DPM? Part of disaster recovery would be that the disks/tapes are getting taken off site.

i am aware of redstors solution as i have looked at this already, but it relies heavly on the LAN and internet connection.

Thanks guys.

Thank Post
    It seems more and more likely that i am going to have to get all my switches upgraded and get to Gbit LAN and then sort a solution to backup the data over night to a hot swap NAS and then take drives off site. While keeping a copy onsite.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All you need to run backupexec is a computer with a hard disk. I just put a couple of 2tb disks in a normal desktop.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    All you need to run backupexec is a computer with a hard disk. I just put a couple of 2tb disks in a normal desktop.
    Wouldent this mean that i have a backup of the Data in school so i can restore anything in case it gets deleted but how do i go about getting a copy off site,

Thank Post
    I have a USB > Sata docking station and 3 x 2TB Disks.
    I use backup assist to do a full backup to one of these disks once a month and take it off site. So I have 3 months worth of full backups off site.
    Backup assist encrypts them with truecrypt as well

I usually run the full backup manually on a friday night and its finished by the Monday morning where i take the disk home.

by no means is this the most fancy and elegant solution but its cheap and it works here for us.

13. Thanks to jamin100 from:

Thank Post
    On the (hopefully) slightly useful front, all of my primaries use backup exec daily backups and take the most recent tape off site.

On the no use at all front (but of interest to me), how on earth do you persuade your school to actually spend money upgrading infrastructure?

15. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

Thank Post
    Call you LA. They might have off site backup they can sort out.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uffy2000 View Post
    Wouldent this mean that i have a backup of the Data in school so i can restore anything in case it gets deleted but how do i go about getting a copy off site,
    I don't bother, I just put the backup machine in a different location in the school.

Obviously take 3 month backups offsite.

18. Thanks to zag from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    On the (hopefully) slightly useful front, all of my primaries use backup exec daily backups and take the most recent tape off site.

On the no use at all front (but of interest to me), how on earth do you persuade your school to actually spend money upgrading infrastructure?
    I would need to purchase a tape server/drive to backup onto. I have heard of this been used in primary schools a lot but to get it here it seems that it would cost between 2-10 grand to get this working.

Like i have said im new to this school so my initial findings carry some weight also the fact that 80% of the school is wireless ive advised that they get a wireless controller, all of the work on the infrastucture benefits the school, teachers and especially the children. The fact the teachers are complaining just re-enforces the stuff i tell them so they are willing to spend some money. ultimatly though its the School governors who have the last say in the funding situation.
    Last edited by uffy2000; 13th December 2012 at 11:04 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast