+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Backup for Primary schools in Technical; Originally Posted by edutech4schools Call you LA. They might have off site backup they can sort out. My pevious positon ...
  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    151
    Thank Post
    28
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Call you LA. They might have off site backup they can sort out.
    My pevious positon was in the LA, (i know big mistake) so i know the solution they advertise and provide. its a cloud based solution which i dont want to use.

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    151
    Thank Post
    28
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    I have a USB > Sata docking station and 3 x 2TB Disks.
    I use backup assist to do a full backup to one of these disks once a month and take it off site. So I have 3 months worth of full backups off site.
    Backup assist encrypts them with truecrypt as well

    I usually run the full backup manually on a friday night and its finished by the Monday morning where i take the disk home.

    by no means is this the most fancy and elegant solution but its cheap and it works here for us.
    this may be the solution for me, its simple, easy. when i get time i will be ripping everything out transfering the Data to my 3 (used) Sun Fire X2200 M2 rack servers and starting fresh.

  3. #18

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,134
    Thank Post
    1,373
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Rep Power
    703
    You could get an external RDX and backup exec. This wouldnt cost so much?

  4. Thanks to witch from:

    uffy2000 (13th December 2012)

  5. #19
    Tsonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    154
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Based on what I suggested initially, just buy a decent computer, fill it up with HDD's (WD now doing a 4TB bad boy!) get a RAID card and install backup exec and put it in a different location in the school.

    We are thinking of hosting another schools backups in exchange with them hosting ours (DPM). This is actually quite a nice solution but it relies on both of us having decent upload speeds.

  6. Thanks to Tsonga from:

    uffy2000 (13th December 2012)

  7. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    151
    Thank Post
    28
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsonga View Post
    Based on what I suggested initially, just buy a decent computer, fill it up with HDD's (WD now doing a 4TB bad boy!) get a RAID card and install backup exec and put it in a different location in the school.

    We are thinking of hosting another schools backups in exchange with them hosting ours (DPM). This is actually quite a nice solution but it relies on both of us having decent upload speeds.
    as my internet, firewall and webfiltering is all managed by a 3rd party and i have to argue with them anytime i want to do something the upload solution is a no go! the RDX backup with sounds good. im still going to look into the external Dock with 3 HDD's. they only have under 500GB of data at the moment not including server config backup.

  8. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    522
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 75 Times in 67 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    We use Back-up exec running on the (only) server, with storage on Seagate Go-Flex HDDs for daily backup. I'm not convinced it's perfect, but we bought the optional USB dock and they are hot-swappable, so I just swap them every day and put the back-ups in a fire-safe in a different building on site. The advantage is that anyone (well almost anyone) can make the swap on days when I'm not here.

    Could be worth looking at Crash Plan. I'm going to play with that at home. The main offerings are to use their cloud storage, but you can also back up to another computer on a different site. You can set it up to just take incremental backups, so shouldn't be massive volumes of data in a primary.

  9. #22

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,624
    Thank Post
    1,240
    Thanked 778 Times in 675 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by uffy2000 View Post
    So what I need is a backup solution for a primary school, this has also has to encompass disaster recovery
    For backup of files and virtual machine images, I'm sorting us out a server that will take snapshots of VM harddrives and copy the contents of Windows shares, then sync them with a remote server which I plan to place in another school (we'll swap backups with them, basically). That should take care of disater recovery (there's some diasaster, you need to restore servers) and individual file restoration (someone accidently deletes a file). With both files and virtual machine images you only have to transmit the changes between versions, there's no need to transmit the whole systemk every time, so this should (hopefully) be okay over an Internet link to another school. For file restoration, you can deduplicate the files you store, too, so you should be able to store versions going back a number of days (or weeks, months, depending on storage sizes). You'd still need BackupExec or similar to be able to do granual restoration of things like SQL Server or Exchange (restore the mailbox you deleted from 3 weeks ago, etc), and I can't figure out how you'd get those offsite without having to transmit the whole lot or take them out on disk / tape.

  10. #23

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,747
    Thank Post
    1,275
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    506
    I believe that virtualising servers is great for DR.
    I use Acronis to backup our virtual servers to a local USB, these are then replicated to a NAS in another building. Every holiday the VMs are copied onto a USB hard drive and taken off site.

    Local USB holds short term back up for quick file recovery, the NAS has longer term storage and can be used if local device fails. If the entire site is destroyed by a meteor I can whip up a new virtual host, attach the VMs held off site and we are back in business.

  11. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    151
    Thank Post
    28
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    For backup of files and virtual machine images, I'm sorting us out a server that will take snapshots of VM harddrives and copy the contents of Windows shares, then sync them with a remote server which I plan to place in another school (we'll swap backups with them, basically). That should take care of disater recovery (there's some diasaster, you need to restore servers) and individual file restoration (someone accidently deletes a file). With both files and virtual machine images you only have to transmit the changes between versions, there's no need to transmit the whole systemk every time, so this should (hopefully) be okay over an Internet link to another school. For file restoration, you can deduplicate the files you store, too, so you should be able to store versions going back a number of days (or weeks, months, depending on storage sizes). You'd still need BackupExec or similar to be able to do granual restoration of things like SQL Server or Exchange (restore the mailbox you deleted from 3 weeks ago, etc), and I can't figure out how you'd get those offsite without having to transmit the whole lot or take them out on disk / tape.
    Wouldent this still make me reliant on my 3rd party who manages my web filtering,internet connection and firewall. To be honest i dont want to laise with them at all, ive asked them to open up around 10 ports on the firewall and im still waiting after 10 days.

  12. #25

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,624
    Thank Post
    1,240
    Thanked 778 Times in 675 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by uffy2000 View Post
    Wouldent this still make me reliant on my 3rd party who manages my web filtering,internet connection and firewall.
    I was planning to do the external file transfer via HTTP, just using plain port 80. I guess the problem is if at least one site doesn't accept incoming connections on port 80 then you need some kind of Skype-like connection broker somewhere in the middle.

  13. #26

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    54
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Local school to us had a fire recently and although the whole school did not burn down, nobody is allowed in for a long time due to the dust and asbestos. If backups are still in the school they are useless during this time. Some may argue if the school is shut what does it matter? The SIMS backups are needed for the temporary setup and all the finance packages.

    What ever you do to backup, make sure you have an offsite/remote backup, we didnt until this happened to a local school.

    Currently until an offsite remote backup is sorted, we have external HDD rotation, each day, on set is in the safe whilst another is backing up and also one set is off site. At worst the offsite maybe one or two days old but in the event of fire, flood etc this is an exceptable risk and fulfills the SFVS audits and insurance company audit.

  14. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    151
    Thank Post
    28
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by paulellam View Post
    Local school to us had a fire recently and although the whole school did not burn down, nobody is allowed in for a long time due to the dust and asbestos. If backups are still in the school they are useless during this time. Some may argue if the school is shut what does it matter? The SIMS backups are needed for the temporary setup and all the finance packages.

    What ever you do to backup, make sure you have an offsite/remote backup, we didnt until this happened to a local school.

    Currently until an offsite remote backup is sorted, we have external HDD rotation, each day, on set is in the safe whilst another is backing up and also one set is off site. At worst the offsite maybe one or two days old but in the event of fire, flood etc this is an exceptable risk and fulfills the SFVS audits and insurance company audit.
    indeed! i have heard of this happening before in schools. due to the schools infrastructure a cloud based backup solution is not the best solution for me. As it is at this point they have no backup solution at all. so even an backup on to an external HDD and storing in another local school's fire proof safe is a step in the right direction.

  15. #28

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    54
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    I like the idea of keeping backups with other schools, saves the hassle of taking them home.

  16. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    151
    Thank Post
    28
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by paulellam View Post
    I like the idea of keeping backups with other schools, saves the hassle of taking them home.
    a lot of schools do that. all you need to do is open dialog with another school and then ask them. They dont need to do anything other than to just put it in the safe when you drop it off.

  17. #30

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    69
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    Where are you based? Im in BD4, Maybe we can Co...Locate?

    Im currently Backing up to a 2TB Seagate NAS using A Backup folder policy. If you talk me through it we could work something out? Are you with the BLN by the way?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Backup for Primary School
    By contink in forum Hardware
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27th January 2009, 10:24 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 1st October 2008, 02:01 PM
  3. VLE for Primary Schools?
    By thegrassisgreener in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28th November 2007, 10:28 PM
  4. Support SLA for Primary Schools
    By deano in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd November 2007, 02:27 PM
  5. Site@School, a CMS for primary schools
    By Geoff in forum Links
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th September 2006, 07:18 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •