+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Setting printers using Server2008R2 & Win7 clients in Technical; I'm having issues setting up a printer start up script within a group policy on Windows Server 2008R2 & enforcing ...

Thank Post

Setting printers using Server2008R2 & Win7 clients

I'm having issues setting up a printer start up script within a group policy on Windows Server 2008R2 & enforcing it on Windows7 client.

Basically the original set up when I came here was a WinXP client within a certain "place" on GP, obtains a startup script called "setprint". This in turn creates a "setprint.vbs" file on the client within C:\Windows\

I've now got a number of Win7 pcs - so I moved a test one into the same place in GP & it's successfully pulled down the script & put it within C:\Windows\ but that's as far as it goes... it doesn't run within Windows 7 - even when I log on with full admin rights.

Is there something I'm missing here that's obvious? The printer info is held on another server & can be connected to by the new Win7 pc, but obviously whenever I log on as another user that printer addition can only be seen by me.

Is there a better solution?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB_NI View Post
    I'm having issues setting up a printer start up script within a group policy on Windows Server 2008R2 & enforcing it on Windows7 client.

Basically the original set up when I came here was a WinXP client within a certain "place" on GP, obtains a startup script called "setprint". This in turn creates a "setprint.vbs" file on the client within C:\Windows\

I've now got a number of Win7 pcs - so I moved a test one into the same place in GP & it's successfully pulled down the script & put it within C:\Windows\ but that's as far as it goes... it doesn't run within Windows 7 - even when I log on with full admin rights.

Is there something I'm missing here that's obvious? The printer info is held on another server & can be connected to by the new Win7 pc, but obviously whenever I log on as another user that printer addition can only be seen by me.

There are lots of different solutions available that have there pros and cons.

We use GPP here and then use ILT to ensure the right print is set as default. We have also used Group Policy in the past, but you gave to make sure that the clients are in then correct OUs

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive looked at a few different options...originally scripts, and then because of bringing in Thin Clients - I went down the GPP route. Now, Ive gone completely GPP - heres some links on my blog to give you some pointers...

Managing Printers in a Remote Desktop Environment - Blogs - EduGeek.net
    Setting Printers through Group Policy...an encore... (and the death of Scripts) - Blogs - EduGeek.net

If you need any pointers, drop me a line

4. Thanks to TheScarfedOne from:

SteveB_NI (13th December 2012)

Thank Post
    were using GPP and it works fine for us the only time I have had an awkward one, was when I used a non MS driver.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB_NI View Post

Why copy a script to the local machine?

We run a vbscript on login that set's printers.

For windows 7 we've disabled the point and print restrictions as well.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    Ive looked at a few different options...originally scripts, and then because of bringing in Thin Clients - I went down the GPP route. Now, Ive gone completely GPP - heres some links on my blog to give you some pointers...
    That's great - thank you very much!

Got it working today using GPO - much better solution.

Cheers for your help!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread