Hi all. I have a server that wont start up. It goes into recovery mose and then says that Windows could not repair the issue. The error details say corrupt registry. We dotn have any restore images to recover from. I did try opening the command prompt and typing in sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=D:\windows but this gave the error that Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation.

I then considered that maybe I could restore the system state. We had been backing up work to memory stick and full system state backups to a nearby workstation. I copied the backup to an external hard drive. which appeared as (J when I booted into recovery mode from the Server 2008 R2 DVD. The backup doesnt show in the list but the icon does show in My Computer when I browse for drivers (not that the USB hard drive came with any).

I tried wbadmin start systemstaterecovery version:10/30/2012 02:50 -backupTarget:J:\ but that commend didnt work. it said the version was wrong. Yet this is the date and time that shows in the date modified column for the backup files. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Or just goign round in circles? Thanks.

PS: I have seen some suggested solutions for both of the above issues but they generally require you to be in Windows. As we cannot seven boot up into Safe Mode we are limited for choices.