+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, User folders renaming themselves to 'My Documents'?! in Technical; Does anyone know what's happening here? For some reason a few of the user folders - essentially where the users ...
    Thank Post

User folders renaming themselves to 'My Documents'?!

Does anyone know what's happening here? For some reason a few of the user folders - essentially where the users are having their home share redirected to - are automatically renaming themselves to 'My Documents' whereas some of the others stay as the users logon name i.e. swilson

ScreenShot012.jpgmydocumentsweirdness.jpg

This happened before when our server was 2003 but i assumed it was an issue with windows 7 when trying to view them remotely on our server but now we have 2008 R2 it's started happening again.

Hmmm...

Thank Post
    Yes, we have this too.

You can get around it by denying permission to the desktop.ini folder in each of them for your domain admins group. I've been meaning to throw together a quick PS script to do this, but have yet to do so!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have a search on here nots of threads about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gossy View Post
    Yes, we have this too.

You can get around it by denying permission to the desktop.ini folder in each of them for your domain admins group. I've been meaning to throw together a quick PS script to do this, but have yet to do so!
    I wouldn't do that. It will slow down your login times. I did it here and when i removed the restriction logon times improved by 30 seconds.

4. Thanks to FN-GM from:

marsdenprimary (29th November 2012)

Thank Post
    put the users documents folder inside another folder for the user so instead of \\server\users$\username ( which you then see as My Documents ) do this \\server\users$\username\documents this way it will rename documents inside the username folder? that way you still see all your users folders by their name and you can just drill into documents.
    docs.png

Thank Post
    This will solve your problems and will not slow down your logins.... Just add it to Logoff scripts...

PupilLogOff.zip

Quite simply deletes the desktop.ini file when they logoff... Who needs this silly file anyway!
    Last edited by TotalGeek; 29th November 2012 at 06:15 PM.

8. Thanks to TotalGeek from:

stevenlong1985 (13th February 2013)

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Windows seems to like doing this, it does it to a Redirected Start Menu as well. A big total PITA to be honest, C'MON Microsoft sort it out.

I too have got around it by just ruuning a script to delete the desktop.ini file

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I'm currently migrating all my users to a folder structure that uses a subfolder for my douments.

Ben

Thank Post
    We had the same problem, I blogged a solution here...... http://www.kevin-burke.co.uk/windows-server-technologies/home-folder-shows-documents-folder/

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Does anyone know what's happening here? For some reason a few of the user folders - essentially where the users are having their home share redirected to - are automatically renaming themselves to 'My Documents' whereas some of the others stay as the users logon name i.e. swilson

ScreenShot012.jpgmydocumentsweirdness.jpg

This happened before when our server was 2003 but i assumed it was an issue with windows 7 when trying to view them remotely on our server but now we have 2008 R2 it's started happening again.

Hmmm...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevvo2000 View Post
    We had the same problem, I blogged a solution here...... Home Folder Shows As "Documents" Instead of Folder Name

Hope this helps.
    I would ignore @kevvo2000 post, all that will do is make your login times slower. Its not a fix just a workaround.

Thank Post
    Its been discussed before here. See here: Desktop.ini and My Documents for the solution I used which I am happy with.

I expect FN-GM will reply to this now with some negative comment saying it will still happen if people are logged on, or don't log off properly but from experience I have found out most people do log off properly and go in these areas when people are not logged on, so not a major issue for me. I will let you make your own mind up!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CommodoreS View Post
    Its been discussed before here. See here: Desktop.ini and My Documents for the solution I used which I am happy with.

I expect FN-GM will reply to this now with some negative comment saying it will still happen if people are logged on, or don't log off properly but from experience I have found out most people do log off properly and go in these areas when people are not logged on, so not a major issue for me. I will let you make your own mind up!
    But it WILL delay logon when there is no desktop.ini and you are redirecting the folder. This does not happen on subsequent logons when the file exists. Windows looks for the file and creates it if it is missing.

What you really should be doing is redirecting the following as subfolders of the home drive with Vista/7/8.

Contacts
    Desktop
    Documents
    Downloads
    Favorites
    Links
    Music
    Pictures
    Saved Games
    Searches
    Videos

Documents can be moved easily enough with a script and the rest get created on first redirection.

Thank Post
    File screening old pal, will mail ya direct Jay!! Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread