+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Proxy settings checkbox suddenly greyed out on networked machines in Technical; Ok I've just had a look at a machine, whacked in gpresult and the new policy is showing up. GPO ...
    Thank Post
    Ok I've just had a look at a machine, whacked in gpresult and the new policy is showing up. GPO applied successfully!!

So in short: Migrated proxy policy didn't work, created a new one with same settings, deleted the old one, computers work again...

My question is: WHHHYYYYY???!!!! Why do computers DO these things to us?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marsdenprimary View Post
    Ok I've just had a look at a machine, whacked in gpresult and the new policy is showing up. GPO applied successfully!!

So in short: Migrated proxy policy didn't work, created a new one with same settings, deleted the old one, computers work again...

My question is: WHHHYYYYY???!!!! Why do computers DO these things to us?
    It would have just got itself in a tis, all those Proxy GPO's do is tweak registry keys - like the one I mentioned.

3. Thanks to glennda from:

marsdenprimary (29th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the help- really appreciate it! You've made my life better x x x

Thank Post
    I'm glad creating a new GPO fixed it for you.

Remember for the future, some GPO's just don't work for whatever reason so deleting & recreating usually fixes things and is much less hassle. Another useful tip i find is to hit refresh a couple of times in Group Policy Management once you make changes to the GPO or change security permissions. This way the GPO should be applied straight away without the need for a gpupdate /force on machine or wait for replication

I have only just started to use AD / Group Policy myself but the above has happened 3 times to us, once with our printer server driver install GPO, a second with our staff drive mappings and a third time with proxy settings. The GPO i screenshot for you actually says our homepage shoud be google but its still our website, why im not sure because we dont have it specified anywhere. I'll probably just create a new GPO with that one setting in it instead
    Last edited by Darylrese; 29th November 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darylrese View Post
    I'm glad creating a new GPO fixed it for you.

Remember for the future, some GPO's just don't work for whatever reason so deleting & recreating usually fixes things and is much less hassle. Another useful tip i find is to hit refresh a couple of times in Group Policy Management once you make changes to the GPO or change security permissions. This way the GPO should be applied straight away without the need for a gpupdate /force on machine or wait for replication

I have only just started to use AD / Group Policy myself but the above has happened 3 times to us, mainly with 'windows component' and IE group policies. The GPO i screenshot for you actually says our homepage shoud be google but its still our website, why im not sure because we dont have it specified anywhere. I'll probably just create a new GPO with that one setting in it instead
    Looks like creating new ones is the way forward! Either that or we let computers take over the world and we just go and watch The Walking Dead.

Thank Post
    haha the computers shall not win

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12