+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Home drive failing to map on specific computer in Technical; Well I did manage to solve it by changing the home folder map from \domain to \domain.domain.local Its like it ...
    Gaz

Thank Post
    Well I did manage to solve it by changing the home folder map from \\domain to \\domain.domain.local

Its like it was a DNS issue even though everything appeared to be hunky dory.

Thank Post
    Did you change that against the AD account on the profile tab or in the GPO where you have the folder redirection settings?

Gaz

Thank Post
    In the AD account on the profile tab. I'm not sure if you can do the lot in bulk without 3rd party tools. I've got a program called AD Infinitum that allows bulk changes with an easy to use GUI. I Just changed it to "\\abc.domain.local\group\%username%"

Thank Post
    I had a similar problem with a staff machine recently & had to clear the offline files cache to resolve. I found this for Windows 7 using Google:

In registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\CSC
    Create new DWORD (32-bit) called FormatDatabase, set data value 1

save & reboot. No need to remove, the registry value gets deleted automatically.

ALR

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    OK I think this may be related. I've no idea how this has happened or even how its possible. If you look at the attached image you can see there are loads of "My Documents" folders but they are shared with the students username. This may be related to the problem. I think My Documents folder redirection has gone horribly wrong somewhere.

I tested with two accounts: student1 (a temp student account) and testacc (my student testing account) student1 wasn't renamed to "My Documents" but testacc was, however they were both still effected.

Attachment 16079

There is a fix for the home folders being renamed to "My Documents". We had this problem and fixed it by stopping users from saving the desktop.ini files in their home area. This might be totally unrelated but I saw the image attached to your post and thought it may help.

If you want directions on applying the file screen, let me know and I'll post it...

Cheers,
    Al

Thank Post
    You can search for numerous threads about files being renamed "My Documents" which provide feedback on how to deal with that 1 of which can be found here.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ALR View Post
    There is a fix for the home folders being renamed to "My Documents". We had this problem and fixed it by stopping users from saving the desktop.ini files in their home area. This might be totally unrelated but I saw the image attached to your post and thought it may help.

If you want directions on applying the file screen, let me know and I'll post it...

Cheers,
    Al
    Yeah and the solution is to delete the desktop.ini file and it will restore it to its former state.

Thank Post
    The folder isn't actually renamed though, if you search the forum it is a know issue and a solution to view the actual filename was posted here.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Yes but doing that the file will still be called "My Documents" all that "solution" does is add another column with the filename, if you want to get rid of the "My Documents name you can delete the "Desktop.ini" file and it will restore the original filename.

What I found is that my users couldnt connect to their homefolder when it had been renamed to "My Documents" but I may have a different setup to others.

ALR

Thank Post
    Yes you have to delete the Desktop.ini to return the home folder name to the username, but using the File Screen prevents the user from saving another desktop.ini the next time they log off. The solution to get rid of the "MY Documents" folder name is delete the desktop.ini then apply the file screen to stop it coming back...

The physical folder name in the NTFS file structure will stay the same (if you navigate to the folder in Command prompt the name will still be the username), the dekstop.ini masks it to call it "My Documents", but your home folder shares should still work if set up properly. If the share stops working it is more likely something in the GPO, the share or permissions than the desktop.ini oddity.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by ALR; 14th March 2013 at 03:59 PM.

Gaz

Thank Post
    For me I think it was not using the FQDN in the map that stopped those users being mapped. Once corrected the problem hasn't come back.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12