+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Devising a new backup plan for Virtualised servers in Technical; Originally Posted by gshaw Out of interest how do you back up the virtual machines themselves? Last time I looked ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Out of interest how do you back up the virtual machines themselves? Last time I looked I thought DPM couldn't do VMWare virtual machines and you had to back up the data via a client installed inside the VM, whereas with Hyper-V (as you'd expect) you could back up the entire VM via the host.

What made me go for Veeam was the fact if we lost the machines entirely (e.g. storage failure) you could drop the lot straight back in from a Veeam backup and carry on, whereas if you've only got the data inside the machine it'll be a lot more work to get back to a working state.
    You're right on all counts ofc, you can't back up the VMs and restore them in a single click. DPM takes a system state backup from inside the servers. However, having had to restore a couple of servers from scratch (no data/config at all) in the past, I can say that the extra work is minimal. You just create a new VM, boot from the windows disk and restore the snapshot over the network. I wouldn't claim its better, but its very fast, easy to do and makes it possible to restore servers to hyper-v or physical machines if the need arised. Obviusly, there are negatives, you cant backup linux or unix servers for example, but it wasnt a problem for us.

I believe another problem with veeam is you don't have much choice but to backup every disk on every server, which if you are also going to do a seperate file backup as stated in the OP, will require a ton of disk space.

Veeam is really the best for backing up vmware vms though, but the lack of file/database level backups, the cost vs DPM on our school agreement and the incident rate of server restores vs individual file restores made us go with DPM.
    Last edited by ChrisMiles; 21st November 2012 at 01:27 PM.

2. Thanks to ChrisMiles from:

gshaw (21st November 2012)

Thank Post
    Fair do's, interesting to hear from someone who has the VMware \ DPM combo in practice as at the time I found people tended to go either Hyper-V \ DPM or VMware \ Veeam.

You can exclude disks from Veeam, I do it with my WSUS server store as there's no point backing that up (it's in the advanced options for each VM in the selection list iirc). Exchange restores are better now provided you have 2010 as they've brought out an Exchange Explorer tool but take your point on SQL backups, was one thing I wasn't so keen on compared to other products.

Btw does ofc mean what I think it does, hope it's not #3 lol? Urban Dictionary: ofc

4. Thanks to gshaw from:

ChrisMiles (21st November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Fair do's, interesting to hear from someone who has the VMware \ DPM combo in practice as at the time I found people tended to go either Hyper-V \ DPM or VMware \ Veeam.

You can exclude disks from Veeam, I do it with my WSUS server store as there's no point backing that up (it's in the advanced options for each VM in the selection list iirc). Exchange restores are better now provided you have 2010 as they've brought out an Exchange Explorer tool but take your point on SQL backups, was one thing I wasn't so keen on compared to other products.

Btw does ofc mean what I think it does, hope it's not #3 lol? Urban Dictionary: ofc
    LOL sorry yeah i just meant of course in a nice way!

Good to hear you can exclude drives in Veeam, wasnt sure on that.

We did originally run Hyper-V and DPM 2010 back when 2008 R2 first came out, but we migrated to VMware over some concerns really about standardisation and supportability really. Not sorry either, Hyper-V worked well, but the hosts were a bit of a pain to rig up with an iscsi san at the time. Wouldnt mind having a look at the new version though.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are people saying DPM is better than Veeam for Hyper-V backups?

I was under the impression Veeam was the up and coming superstar of virtualization backup for both platforms. I think it won the 2012 innovation award from Windows IT Pro Magazine recently.

EDIT: oh here it is from twitter:

" Veeam Wins Four 2012 Editors’ Best and Community Choice Awards from Windows IT Pro Magazine Veeam Wins Four 2012 Editors "

http://www.windowsitpro.com/content1...catpath/awards

I have a copy of DPM if needed, I just had an aweful experience with all their agents and hotfixes when I tried it a couple of years back.
    Last edited by zag; 21st November 2012 at 02:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Are people saying DPM is better than Veeam for Hyper-V backups?
    It depends what you want. If all you want to do is back up your VMs, veeam might be the best bet. If you want to do lots of other backups aswell as the OP did, then DPM is a better option than having several different solutions.

And then there's the cost, licensing schemes etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12