+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Printer GPP randomly being a PITA in Technical; Originally Posted by AngryTechnician Where did you get this information? From Yong Rhee . It looks like he was wrong ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,612 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Where did you get this information?
    From Yong Rhee. It looks like he was wrong in this case.

Thank Post
    I have had this one before - group policy refreshes in the background and removes the printer. You need to enable this setting, it removes printers from the refresh.
    [COMPUTER POLICY\ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES\SYSTEM\GROUP POLICY\Printers preference extension policy processing]

3. 2 Thanks to Psymon:

Arthur (23rd October 2012), tmcd35 (23rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 959 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    I have had this one before - group policy refreshes in the background and removes the printer. You need to enable this setting, it removes printers from the refresh.
    [COMPUTER POLICY\ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES\SYSTEM\GROUP POLICY\Printers preference extension policy processing]
    I have a choice with that one.

If I don't set it, some users have printers disappear on them through the day i.e. at background refresh.

If I do set it, then the gpupdate /force script run on login doesn't refresh printers and therefore people don't always have the printers there at login.

Given that everyone logs in, but only a small subset of users stay logged in for more than an hour, I've gone with the former so far, but that small subset is people like SMT, so it's not viable long-term. Just testing scripts now - they seem more reliable at adding the printers (and are certainly quicker) but don't always seem to strip printers out correctly in the first place. There is a reg key I can experiment with on that front, though.

Thank Post
    I found that 98%people successfully got printers correctly installed at first logon - so if someone did have a problem with printers, I recommend they log off/on again.

It seemed more reliable than a refresh every 1 hour, with an 8 hour working day there were 8 chances of it messing up your printers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    I found that 98%people successfully got printers correctly installed at first logon - so if someone did have a problem with printers, I recommend they log off/on again.

It seemed more reliable than a refresh every 1 hour, with an 8 hour working day there were 8 chances of it messing up your printers.
    I've been doing that as a temporary measure but I don't much enjoy explaining to the head while he has to close everything he is working on to log out and log back in just to get his printer back. It seems to hover about the same figure here but it was always 100% with GPO under 2k3, and it's not a difficult thing I'm asking of Microsoft, I just want it to work!

Thinking about it from the other angle, as well, with 450 computers here, 5 periods, there are probably somewhere around 2000 logins in a day. That's 40 people every day not getting printers added correctly. It might be intermittent on individual logins, but it scales up to a big, daily problem that makes the new system look bad.

Thank Post
    How would I push the GPP hotfix out via WSUS for my XP and Windows 7 PCs?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    No idea via WSUS - maybe you can import it from the Microsoft Catalog? - but I can tell you how to do it with SCCM, if you're running that.

Thank Post
    I've a feeling something came down the wires in updates here last week, but it's difficult to pinpoint what - our LA managed to block BITS so WSUS hasn't been working properly for a while. Fixed this, and the updates started to spill out to clients. Now, GPP is not as reliable as it was (we get this now). I've changed the shared printer server names to be the FQDN, and added a Delete All printers GPP object for logons, which seems to have improved it. It just seems to have some annoying issues still, for some random users on random PCs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    You will have to use Local Update Publisher to add it to WSUS yourself. Hotfixes are by definition not available in WSUS or in the Windows Update Catalog (when they get that far they just call them updates rather than hotfixes).

LUP does take a bit of setting up and learning, but it's well worth it IMO.

11. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

chazzy2501 (28th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Ok riddle me this, If you setup a printer in GPP and logon it applies succesfully, logoff and logon again I get a 4098 event id logged.

The user '06laser01' preference item in the 'Deploy Printers - Student {6BC157D0-1397-4B1D-AC44-2CC54076EA24}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bc4 No printers were found.' This error was suppressed.

If I delete all network printers on logoff and logon again I don't get that event id logged????

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Ok riddle me this, If you setup a printer in GPP and logon it applies succesfully, logoff and logon again I get a 4098 event id logged.

The user '06laser01' preference item in the 'Deploy Printers - Student {6BC157D0-1397-4B1D-AC44-2CC54076EA24}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bc4 No printers were found.' This error was suppressed.

If I delete all network printers on logoff and logon again I don't get that event id logged????

Ben
    That sounds similiar to what I had - can't remember the exact event ID, but it was intermittently claiming that it couldn't find the printer despite having added it perfectly fine for the previous fifteen logons, and it would proceed to add it fine for the following fifteen.

TechNet threads suggested that using the FQDN of the print server would help, but it never fully resolved it for me. Never did find any rhyme or reason for it. Running a gpupdate /force /scope:user (or w/e) after login using the GPO to "Run following application at logon"* seemed to work well, but we still had printers disappearing at policy refresh; disabling the eval of printer policy at refresh stopped the logon gpupdate doing anything, so it was a rock and a hard place.

Hence I now use scripting.

*running it as a logon script delayed the appearance of the desktop by ten seconds or so; setting it to run at login this way meant it ran after the desktop was displayed, and it was fine to run alongside anything else the user was doing.

Thank Post
    It's not a case of sometimes working for me it ither installs the printer or doesn't.

The printers that work have drivers which are listed as packaged = true in print management, the konica drivers listed as packaged = false do not deploy and give the access denied message.

I have changed the point and print restrictions as per other threads and it makes no difference.

If I change the print driver to a different one for example the HP universal driver which is listed as packaged that deploys fine.

If I log on to a multipoint session as local admin even the non packaged drivers work.

Ben

Thank Post
    If I log on as local admin and connect to the printer then the driver gets downloaded to the local store and subsequent logons for all users will install the printer as expected.

So driver security, arghh!!!!!!!!

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If I log on to a multipoint session as local admin even the non packaged drivers work.
    If you're using MPS 2010 or 2011, AFAIK, best practise is to install all drivers in Maintenance Mode rather than Normal Mode.. It's certainly what I recommend!

Thank Post
    Only been using the mps as the test main suites are win7. Don't see why drivers shouldn't install in login for users as expected.

Need to setup a virtual win7 machine as well really.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast