+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Power save settings via GPO? in Technical; Just moved to having start menus and desktops redirected which works fine on PC's and Netbooks untill the netbooks have ...
    Thank Post

Power save settings via GPO?

Just moved to having start menus and desktops redirected which works fine on PC's and Netbooks untill the netbooks have been on for a short while and are not used and the desktop dissapears. This happens when netbooks due to slowish logon times are set up by teacher before lesson start so that they are ready for the lesson starting. Log off and back on and all is fine. Now I think its all down to the wifi tirning off as it tries to save power when its not being used, hence desktop dissapears as not connection. Now can I disable this feature via GPO or is it one where I will have to visit each netbook and manually turn that feature off?
    On a similar vein, have some PC's now we have gone to W7 start to go in to a power save/suspend mode (power light on fron to PC goes orange instead of green) and only way to resolve it is to unplg and restart which they do not like), never had this issue with XP! Can this be solved with a GPO setting? I know its not being very 'green' but would rather leave them on (they are older PC's). The latest newer PC's are fine as the power button just flashes and they now know to just press it and all is fine again instantly.

Help would be very welcome!

Thank Post

Re: Power save settings via GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    On a similar vein, have some PC's now we have gone to W7 start to go in to a power save/suspend mode (power light on fron to PC goes orange instead of green) and only way to resolve it is to unplg and restart which they do not like), never had this issue with XP! Can this be solved with a GPO setting? I know its not being very 'green' but would rather leave them on (they are older PC's). The latest newer PC's are fine as the power button just flashes and they now know to just press it and all is fine again instantly.

Help would be very welcome!
    The computers in question aren't dells are they?

We only get that if there a fault with usb devices.

Have you checked drivers?
    Is the bios up todate?

Thank Post
    Fas as I know bios up to date, and drivers fine (well all in built in W7 as no specific ones available for W7 from manufacturer). All PC's are Fujitsu's. Seem to work fine otherwise (have had a couple report mouse and keyboard freeze up but thats only two out of about 20.

Thank Post
    Def. an option to sort this in Gpo - have you got the win 7 Gpo objects installed? I can look on Monday, but ours are set to never hibernate - just turn off the screens after 10 minutes.

Thank Post
    GPO Objects? cant answer that one as dont know what they are! We are on server 2008 R2 and Win7 clients if that helps? Sorry, just trying to build up my knowledge.

Thank Post
    I meant the windows 7 GPO policies. You have them as you have Server 2008R2.

Thank Post
    Yup all configurable via GPO

Computer Settings, Administrative Templates, System, Power Management iirc

I've turned all sleep and hibernate settings off for all networked machines as the NIC going to sleep broke all redirected folders when it came back on

I do turn off monitor after 10 mins though

8. Thanks to gshaw from:

TechSupp (30th September 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread