+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, SBS2011 for primary schools in Technical; What (if any) are the implications of using SBS 2011 in a primary school. I am unsure on numbers at ...

Thank Post

Post SBS2011 for primary schools

What (if any) are the implications of using SBS 2011 in a primary school. I am unsure on numbers at the moment as I have only just been asked to quote for the work, and I am meeting with the schools technician on Monday.
    Is SBS 2011 a viable option for a primary school?

Thank Post
    Hey M4tty

Providing you use Standard and come in under the 75 Users/Computers limit - you should be fine.

SBS for a small sized site could be ideal as you get the benefits of exchange, centralised storage, remote access and a sharepoint server out of the box, ideal if you want to get a lot of functionality in on a budget.

One thing to consider is that SBS Standard is being discontinued and they are pushing everyone to the cloud (SBS Essentials moving forwards with 25 u/c limit) so availability will be limited to a degree at some point in the future so if you are going to do it, I'd be looking at doing it within the next 6-12 months.

I've got quite a bit of experience with SBS (MCP on 2008 although not renewed for 2011 but its all the same really), so If you want any advice on SBS, once you have some more info - let me know.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tty_j View Post
    What (if any) are the implications of using SBS 2011 in a primary school. I am unsure on numbers at the moment as I have only just been asked to quote for the work, and I am meeting with the schools technician on Monday.
    Is SBS 2011 a viable option for a primary school?
    Personally I would go with Server 2008 R2 as a Basic DC, File/Print possible sharepoint and then push email etc to Live@edu. But SBS will work it just doesn't give great flexibility to expand (although with 2011 you can have 2 DC's if you get the upgraded version).
    Last edited by glennda; 27th September 2012 at 11:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Personally I would go with Server 2008 R2 as a Basic DC, File/Print possible sharepoint and then push email etc to Live@edu. But SBS will work it just doesn't give great flexibility to expand (although with 2011 you can have 2 DC's if you get the upgraded version).
    Cool. I was thinking about office365 for email anyway as I prefer it to an in house exchange server. Thanks for your help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread