+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, GPO not working for IE9 proxy settings in Technical; Some background: Domain controllers are a mix of 2008 R2 and 2008, clients are Windows 7 Enterprise x32 /w SP1 ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

GPO not working for IE9 proxy settings

Some background: Domain controllers are a mix of 2008 R2 and 2008, clients are Windows 7 Enterprise x32 /w SP1 and IE9. I'm having an incredible issue right now with proxy settings applying intermittently on student workstations. The proxy GPO was set using User Configuration>Windows Settings>Internet Explorer Maintenance>Connection/Proxy Settings. What will happen is out of a cart of 30 or so netbooks, 2/3rds of the students will fail to pull proxy settings. Looking at one of the afflicted machines shows the check box in IE not checked, and the proxy address field blank. If you run RSOP it shows that all the policies have successfully applied without error (no filtering, etc), and if you drill down back through User Configuration>Windows Settings>Internet Explorer Maintenance>Connection/Proxy Settings it's clearly there. IE is simply ignoring it, and with the randomness I don't know what to make of it. Has anyone else come across this issue?
    Last edited by Duke5A; 18th September 2012 at 08:07 PM.

Thank Post
    I had this issue, 1st thing I spent ages trying to work out - Check each server has the same GPO settings.
    In 2008R2 you can change the one you are viewing in Group Policy Management by right clicking on the FQDN.

I checked each one to find they wasnt syncronising with each other and like you it was being set randomly. I changed the way they syncronised - once I remember how I will post it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reply, you got me thinking about replication as we have three domain controllers in our network. I verified the policy is successfully replicated across all three DCs by not only checking the settings in GPMC on each DC, I also checked the modified dates in the policy folder in each DCs sysvol share. Without a doubt it's the same. Next I looked at the student machines and noticed with gpresult that the ones with issues were applying their policies from DC02, while the ones that are working were pulling from DC01. RSOP on each student machine verifies that the correct proxy configuration is present in each machine, regardless of what DC it was pulled from. But I still have yet to find one instance where it is working when it was pulled from DC02, and one instance where it is not working where it was pulled from DC01. It's there, it's just not processing it. So following Google led me to a policy in the computer configuration that may help:

Code:
    Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Group Policy>Internet Explorer Maintenance policy processing
    Here you can set IE maintenance policies (which are the only policies that fail to apply) to run over slow links, and force them to process again even if the policy hasn't changed. I just set these options so now I need to see if they helped.

Fun times... I'll keep you posted.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How odd. It might be interesting to test latency between your client and dc2. There are hotfixes available from MS to address unexpected high latency in high bandwidth environments, though I've never seen them mentioned in the context of GPO processing issues.

Meanwhile are either of these helpful?

Internet Explorer Group Policy Preferences do not apply to Internet Explorer 9 in a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain environment
    Internet Explorer Maintenance policies are not applied in preference mode

Thank Post
    Hi Duke,

We are experiencing exactly the problem you mention in your 18th Sept 2012 GPO not working for IE9 proxy settings post. You mention that you are looking into a solution using the Computer Configuration Policy. Did you get anywhere with this?

many thanks

Tim Daniel
    Kings School Ely
    UK

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Tim, we eventually moved over to IE10 and this particular problem cleared itself up. With IE10 you need to use group policy preferences for setting the proxy as the IE Maintenance settings are deprecated. IE9 supports GPP so I would try this instead of going through maintenance.

-Mark

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread