+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, GPO setting - not there?? in Technical; Hey, I have a GPO setting thats trying to assign 2 printers that no longer exist. If i go to ...
    Thank Post

GPO setting - not there??

Hey,

I have a GPO setting thats trying to assign 2 printers that no longer exist. If i go to see what settings a GPO has then I can see them there under

Computer Config> Policies > Windows Settings > Printer Connections

However, when I actually go into the GPO and try to remove the entries, the actual printer connections part there..

From the screenshot I need to remove both references to CURRICSVR1 as that server no longer exists on the network.

Using wireshark I'm getting a few name queries to CURRICSVR1 which I can only assume is coming from this GPO....

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 09.09.40.png
    Last edited by jamin100; 18th September 2012 at 04:22 PM.

Thank Post
    I think that those settings are added into the GPO when you deploy printers from the print server (so not something you would have specified directly in the GPO). If CURRICSVR1 had still existed, my advice would be to remove those printers from the Deployed Printers section of Print Management. I think this describes a similar problem. In your case though it looks like the removal of that server has orphaned these settings in the GPO.

I appreciate this doesn't provide an answer but hopefully explains what has happened. I'm not sure how this is all implemented, but if that old server is still available somewhere, you could spin it up and try removing the deployed printers. Alternatively, create a new print server with the same name then deploy the same printers - if (and its a big "if") the GPO settings are updated purely on the server/printer name this might overwrite the existing settings so that removing the deployed printer from the "new" print server might be enough to remove the connections from the GPO. It's a long shot and not a quick thing to try but if its causing you problems...

Thank Post
    Thanks, I don't really know why they were there. The printers were deployed with a login script with xp..

Curricsvr1 is long gone

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread